Internews is seeking a candidate for the position of Program Officer for FemTech. FemTech-Africa is an Internews pilot program to empower women human rights defenders and journalists from the target countries to fully and safely participate in increasingly digital societies. Building on Internews’ successful Safe Sisters pilot program and more than two years of methodology development and refinement, FemTech offers both immediate digital safety training, and long-term systemic policy and advocacy support to help women survive—and thrive—in a digital world. This is an exciting part-time role to oversee the successful implementation of a 2-year project across four countries in Africa with seven partners based in the region. Under the supervision of the Director, the Program Officer for FemTech will lead the day-to-day activities, including coordinating grants and payments for project partners. The Program Officer will also support a core project team and coordinate with a Community Manager, the Organizational Security Officer.
- Project management and program implementation oversight, strategic planning, analysis, personnel, grants, procurement, and finance tasks as needed;
- Assist the Director with global partner communications, problem-solving, and donor reporting requirements;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with international and local partner organizations, and ensure that implementation is coherent across partners and response to partner needs;
Administration & Finance:
- Manage the implementation, communication, and streamlining of all subgrants under FemTech. This includes collecting, reviewing, and drafting necessary subgrant packages, budget negotiations, payments, and partner reporting;
- Ensure all funder and internal approval request processes are complete;
- Oversee all administrative aspects of the program in coordination with the administrative, financial, and subgrant management teams at Internews;
- Track and ensure program implementation is compliant with funder requirements and Internews policies and procedures;
- Oversee the implementation of personal service contracts, outside service contracts, and simple service contracts;
- Support the Director in tracking timelines, deliverables, and approvals;
Writing & Research:
- Lead the writing and compiling of program reporting, including quarterly reports and work plans with partners;
Timely and supportive review and response to work products from partners;
- Support drafting of internal and external communications, such as website content, concept notes, summaries, etc;
- Post social media content to appropriate channels;
- Represent Internews and FemTech at events as needed;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Bachelor’s degree or a minimum of 5+ years of programmatic experience with government or intern-governmental funded projects;
- Strong writing skills;
- Strong English and French language skills (written and oral);
- Experience in managing international programs that promote human rights, gender equality/empowerment, development and/or Internet freedom;
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple ongoing assignments independently;
- Experience with project management, partnership management, and working with at-risk and marginalized populations;
- Proven ability to work autonomously and collaborate as an effective team member;
- Optimism, a sense of humour, and excitement at supporting and end elevating global voices.
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Experience with US Government-funded programs, DRL, USAID, or large international development organizations;
- Proficiency in Airtable or similar project management software;
- Experience using secure channels for communication.
Please note this position is remote, part-time, 20 hours per week that will run from hiring until September 2023 (with the possibility for extension, or full-time work, if available/interested). All remote candidates will be considered. However, the candidate must have work authorization in a location that does not require sponsorship from Internews. Additionally, there are locations in which Internews is not able to support fully remote work. Additional information can be found here.
Organisation: Internews Network