Location: Remote in Central America and Mexico
Internews is looking for a Program Officer.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Under the supervision of the Project Manager for Central America and Mexico, the Program Officer performs high-level tasks and directly manages at least one Internews project with fiscal oversight of the program. This role will manage activity coordination, travel and events, and subgrants to local, regional, and international organizations for a project to develop capacity among small to medium independent media organizations. The role will develop systems and track deliverables, lead reporting, work closely with the remote team, and engage business management and monitoring and evaluation staff as needed. In addition, the Program Officer supports other programs within the Program Unit.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Directly oversee day-to-day operations for at least one of Internews’ projects in the Americas Program Management Unit within the Central America and Mexico region.
- Responsible for programmatic development and project support to the Project Manager, including input to project strategy and tracking project progress.
- Prepare proposals/budgets/reports, including text editing of proposals.
- Develop tracking systems and monitor the project’s contracts and funding pools for local partners, including budget/agreement negotiation with partners, development and monitoring of budgets, processing payment requests, and review and approval of programmatic reports to funder and stakeholders as required.
- Coordinate with the Project Manager and Monitoring, Evaluation, Research, and Learning (MERL) Specialist on tracking progress towards program deliverables and assessing impact.
- Prepare correspondence and reports from conferences and discussion panels.
- Create and implement a strategy for improved communications on program activities and accomplishments.
- Carry out research as assigned and in support of ongoing projects and new initiatives.
- Represent Internews at conferences and events, with funders and with policy experts.
- Support local partners in the Americas Program Unit with proposal development, fundraising, organizational development, and women and indigenous inclusion strategies in coordination with Internews International.
- In all duties, uphold Internews’ Core Values and demonstrate commitment to fostering a culture of Belonging, Dignity, and Justice
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Minimum 5 years’ programmatic experience in a relevant non-profit.
- Relevant university degree OR equivalent lived/professional experience required.
- Extensive grant proposal writing experience, and proven text-editing proficiency.
- Fluency in English and Spanish (written and spoken) required.
- Experience in developing or supporting programs in closed or hostile environments, including security protocols.
- Previous work experience with donor programs and projects; experience with government programs a significant asset.
- Interest in, and familiarity with, journalism, new media, and new digital applications for citizen journalism and information access.
- Experience working in Central America and Mexico, including regional projects.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate.
- Proven ability to set priorities and manage time effectively.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an effective team member.
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple ongoing assignments.
- Proficiency in MS Office.
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Experience with implementing projects in diverse information environments and training in technologies that support access to information and security.
- Experience implementing US, Canadian, and European government-funded programs, or other programs with significant reporting, evaluation, and compliance components.
- Experience with legal/regulatory issues and/or policy/advocacy is a significant asset.
- Experience or familiarity with complex migration issues in Central America, including Costa Rica.
- Familiarity with and experience in implementing projects to strengthen organizational capacity and inclusion of marginalized communities.
To apply, please visit Internews Careers page here