MDIF is seeking a candidate for the position of Program Director for Europe. The Program Director will report to the Chief Operating Officer and work closely with MDIF’s investment, legal and Media Advisory Services teams.
- Working with MDIF’s Standing Investment Committee (IC), develop strategies for and manage MDIF’s work in Europe, taking account of needs of local media and risks and opportunities presented by the local political and economic environments.
- Build MDIF investment pipeline in Europe by identifying potential loan and equity candidates including for MDIF-managed Pluralis investment vehicle.
- Prepare materials for initial assessment by IC and for programmatic decisions by MDIF Board of Directors, including analysis of applicants in respect of their importance, impact, compatibility with MDIF mission, business prospects, and other relevant criteria.
- Research and prepare materials for country updates and approvals by MDIF Board of Directors.
- Be a point of contact for candidates and clients on non-financial issues; working with other MDIF staff in and outside Europe, be responsible for managing all non-financial elements of the investment process for projects in Europe.
- Lead the monitoring of the mission-related aspects of clients’ work. In close collaboration with MDIF Media Advisory Services (MAS) co-ordinate technical assistance for MDIF clients and candidates in Europe; in cooperation with project, teams identify needs of specific candidates and clients and cohorts of similarly situated clients.
- Provide strategic advice to clients within the areas of Program Director’s media management expertise.
- On a case-by-case basis, sit on investees’ boards of directors as MDIF’s nominee. Network, build relationships, and drive partnerships with other media support organisations in Europe, and represent MDIF at events.
- Participate in fundraising efforts with local funders and media investors; prepare program reports to funders and investors.
- Manage special media programs in Europe on behalf of MDIF.
- Proven experience in the management of a news organisation and in journalism. Additional experience in finance and/or media support is a plus.
- Understanding of media environment in Central and East European countries, with a strong interest in deepening it further.
- Fluency in spoken and written English; knowledge of Russian and/or Serbo-Croatian an advantage. Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as a part of an international team.
- The Program Director shall be based in Europe. Willingness to be based in Prague, Czech Republic is a plus.
- A passion for press freedom.
To apply please submit a CV/resume together with a covering letter that clearly sets out your qualifications and suitability for the role here.
Organisation: Media Development Investment Fund (MDIF)