Organisation: Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP)
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands or remote
OCCRP is seeking a journalist with a passion for digital storytelling who can craft intelligent, compelling social media promotion campaigns that highlight their investigations and bring them to new readers. The social media editor will be a key part of OCCRP’s newsroom and work closely with OCCRP’s editors to help them use social media tools to start conversations around their stories. The social media editor will also get to be closely involved in amplifying OCCRP’s investigations, driving impact that may include policy change, asset seizures, or arrests.
OCCRP is a global network of investigative journalists with staff across six continents and hubs in Washington, D.C., Amsterdam, and Sarajevo. OCCRP is an independent, mission-driven newsroom, working across borders and publishing stories that expose organized crime and corruption.
OCCRP is one of the largest investigative journalism organizations in the world. You’ll learn something every day working with OCCRP, whether it’s about how organized crime works, new technology using to follow the money, or the ins and outs of complex financial flows that allow Russian oligarchs to hide their billions. You’ll work with brilliant and interesting people at the top of their fields (journalism, data, technology, and research, to name a few). And you’ll be part of a network that supports journalists around the world, writing about tough topics in tough countries that few other media outlets are covering. Meanwhile, as social media editor you will have the opportunity to put your ideas, big or small, into practice — OCCRP is always open to try something new.
- Work with OCCRP’s editorial team to develop customized, creative, and effective promotion strategies for its stories.
- Manage OCCRP’s presence across multiple social media platforms and build its digital audience.
- Advise editors on search-engine optimization for stories.
- Oversee social media management across OCCRP, including coordinating with social media managers on its Russian- and Spanish-language teams.
- Use analytics to track readership and audience growth across social media platforms.
- Maintain and develop social media policies and best practices.
- Manage OCCRP’s relationships with social media companies
- Vet and respond to inquiries from readers.
- Advise OCCRP’s member centers around the world on social media strategies and challenges, through holding training sessions, exchanging ideas, and providing other assistance as needed.
- Work with OCCRP’s fundraising team to create social media strategy for campaigns and other organizational initiatives
- Familiarity with major social media platforms and best practices on each.
- Understanding of how to craft a social media promotion strategy.
- Excellent writing skills and a comprehensive understanding of grammar and style.
- Native-level English-language ability.
- The ability to cooperate across cultures with a wide range of editors, reporters, and other diverse staff.
- Independence and initiative.
- Strong communication skills suited to working remotely and coordinating complex campaigns from start to finish.
- Graphic design, video production, and project management skills are a plus.
- Experience planning promotion strategies and social media campaigns is required.
- 2+ years of experience in journalism are strongly preferred.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and samples of two social media campaigns you have produced to email@example.com.
All applications must be submitted in English. Incomplete applications will not be considered. OCCRP apologizes that it will not be able to reply to unsuccessful applicants.
As an equal opportunity employer, OCCRP values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. OCCRP offers competitive compensation and benefits and encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply. OCCRP does not discriminate against any person based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, medical conditions, family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics. If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Location: The position can be in-person at OCCRP’s Amsterdam office or remote, but candidates located in a European time zone are preferred.
Application Deadline: February 28, 2023
For more detailed information, please click here.