Organisation: National Endowment for Democracy (NED)
Location: Washington, D.C., United Stateson
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a federally funded, private, nonprofit grantmaking organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks a Program Officer, Iraq. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Program Officer, will assist with the management, administration, development, and expansion of grant programs in Iraq. In addition, the Program Officer, Iraq will support existing grantees and develop prospective grantees.
- Assist in the evaluation of project proposals.
- Draft summaries of proposals to present at quarterly board meetings.
- Communicate regularly with existing grantees, mostly in Arabic and English.
- Assist in monitoring the work of existing grantees, including review and analysis of any publications or other products.
- Track political developments in Iraq.
- Help organize events to highlight specific democracy-related issues in coordination with the other MENA program members.
- Travel to the region as needed, and occasionally under difficult conditions, to identify and work with potential new grantees and existing grantees.
- The level of responsibility and independence in assigned tasks will increase with experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in international affairs, politics, or a related discipline required; Master’s level education or equivalent knowledge is desired.
- 4+ years of related experience.
- 2+ years of living or working in the Iraq/MENA region.
- 2+ years of experience in democracy-related work is required.
- Fluent Arabic (reading, writing and speaking) is required. Proficiency in other relevant languages of the region is preferred, but not required.
- Proficiency with MS Office is required.
- Other Qualifications:
- Field experience with NGOs in one or more MENA countries is preferred.
- Knowledge of political issues and trends in the MENA region.
- Regional knowledge of Iraq and one or more countries in the region is essential.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Ability to travel to Iraq and other countries as needed.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- High degree of organization and initiative.
- Experience in grant-making and democratic development is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team.
This position is part of the NED Bargaining Unit.
To apply, please click here.