Internews is seeking a candidate for the position of Mid-Term External Evaluator.
Scope of Work
- Consolidate results by synthesizing past reports as well as collecting new data through a survey, interviews with key staff, partners, and fellows;
- Capture lessons learned and effectiveness of the project. In addition to reporting what the project delivered, it is also important to learn from how it operated and whether it is on track to meet all objectives. By interviewing project staff and partners about how the work unfolded, the evaluation will seek to understand operational challenges (including adaptations related to the COVID-19 pandemic) and identify where things could have been handled better or differently;
- Formulate recommendations. The evaluation should gather lessons from experience in light of emerging trends and issues in journalist security in Central and Southeastern Europe, capturing and consolidating these as recommendations. Recommendations will be prepared in collaboration with Internews staff to ensure they are relevant and useful.
The evaluation will comprise of an estimated 12-15 days of work, and involve the following elements:
- Desk Review (2-3 days). This will involve reviewing quarterlies and other documentation that the project produced to track the evolution of the project as a whole;
- Data Collection and Analysis (3-5 days). In order to gather feedback from a wide range of project participants, formulate a survey or questionnaire to be disseminated with project partners, key communities, and key project stakeholders. Additionally, conduct a series of in-depth interviews or focus group discussions with project staff, subgrantees, fellows, and/or beneficiaries. Internews will provide introductions as necessary;
- Writing the Report (5-7 days). Outside of the work to analyze interviews and compile information from documentation, approximately 5-7 days will be needed to draft the report.
The final product will be a 10-12-page report (not including appendices). The body of the report will provide a narrative description of results achieved, operational lessons, and recommendations. Where appropriate, it will also include illustrative graphs and charts that provide useful summaries of project data. Appendices will provide detail such as cross tabulations from reviewing quarterly reports and interviews, as well as a list of people interviewed, and survey results (if any), so readers can clearly see the data that supports the findings and conclusions.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, graduate degree preferred;
- Fluency in both written and spoken English required;
- Demonstrated experience conducting evaluations of advocacy and human rights programs, particularly for US donors;
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative M&E data collection and analysis methods;
- Strong facilitation, presentation, writing and communication skills;
- Experience in the field of digital rights and internet freedom preferred.
Applications should include the below documentation:
- A 2-3 page statement of interest/draft proposal, describing how your profile meets the qualifications outlined above and highlighting how your methodological approach will address the scope planned for this evaluation.
- Please indicate possible survey questions, and a very brief explanation of how you would propose to evaluate the project’s impact through conversations with our partners;
- A short cost justification (not included in the 2-3 page limit);
- A CV or resume and the names of at least two references (these should be clients for whom you have conducted external evaluations previously);
- Evidence of evaluation work (e.g. link to evaluation reports or PDF attachments), highlighting evaluation theories and approaches.
This is a remote-based, part-time, short-term consultancy. All remote candidates will be considered. However, the candidate must have work authorization in a location that does not require sponsorship from Internews. Additionally, there are locations in which Internews is not able to support fully remote work. This position will be hired on a rolling basis and will remain open until hire. To apply please click here.
Organisation: Internews Network