- As the data journalism training courses will be conducted in English (with Burmese language support) or Khmer, applicants can select which language option training they want to join in the application form. They must be proficient in the language taught in the course and have some basic English skill to understand some English-language training materials that will be provided during the course.
- They are seeking journalists (online, print, television, radio, multimedia) and other expert media practitioners with 2-3 years of journalism experience, preferably including reporting on environmental issues in the Mekong region and with an interest in applying data journalism in their work. They do not require applicants to have prior data journalism experience.
- They encourage applications from freelancers and staff of all types of media organizations – international, national, local and community-based. Freelance journalists will need to guarantee publication/broadcast and should identify the media outlet(s) through which they plan to distribute their stories.
- Funding amount: US $3000
- Type of funding: Programmatic
- Target countries: Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam
- Application languages: English, Burmese or Khmer language
The East-West Center and Internews’ Earth Journalism Network in partnership with the Stimson Center, are pleased to launch a second and final round of fellowships to journalists from Mekong countries.
Launched in early 2021, the Mekong Data Journalism Fellowship is an eight-month program providing journalists skills they need to turn data into powerful news stories that reflect the threats and potential solutions facing the Mekong River and 70 million people it supports.
Over the course of four months, Fellows will learn how to find, scrape, clean and interview data as well as transform their findings into powerful human interest stories. These stories will raise awareness of water security challenges, such as hydropower plant development, and potential solutions in the Mekong region.
See here to learn more and apply.