Internews is seeking a Media Project Director for a USAID-funded media support project in Tunisia. The Media Project Director provides technical expertise to Tunisian media and takes the lead on reporting on capacity building in democratic and economic governance and electoral issues. The Media Project Director is responsible for assessing, designing, and planning media assistance after discussions and coordination with traditional and online media, respective institutions, Tunisian journalists and civil society. The Media Project Director will report to the Regional Director for the Middle East and North Africa at Internews.
- Provide support to the local media team;
- Ensure all projects’ deliverables are completed according to agreed timeline and budgets;
- Provide technical expertise on the design of relevant trainings, mentoring programs, and/or consultations to local media outlets to produce engaging, quality reporting that holds government to account;
- Support regular progress reporting and the collection and analysis of monitoring and evaluation data on the results and impact of program support;
- Engage with social media platforms on disinformation and fact-checking;
- Nurture relationships with media outlets, research institutions, media literacy initiatives, and media support organizations in the region;
- Technical support, guidance and mentoring to media partners on topics related to reporting on democratic and economic governance and electoral issues;
- Managing risk and security during the implementation of the project, including the development of contingency plans;
- Support the Middle East and North Africa program management unit (PMU) in ensuring the projects comply with all administrative requirements, donors’ regulations (including branding and marking), laws including local laws and requirements for local staff;
- Responsible for ensuring timely submission of all project reports in collaboration with relevant Internews staff;
- Support strategic communications efforts of Internews in coordination with the Regional Director to promote and publicize Internews activities;
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Ability and permission to work and reside in Tunis;
- Minimum of four to six years of experience managing donor-funded media projects in transition countries;
- Demonstrated news management experience;
- Experience in journalism training, particularly political, investigative and election reporting;
- Experience training and mentoring journalists or journalism students, as well as developing training curriculum;
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and report on media trends;
- Fluency in English is required;
- Proficiency in French and/or Arabic is preferred;
- Strong critical thinking and writing skills; excellent communication skills;
- Thorough understanding of the technical, political, and social issues specific to Tunisia;
- Proven interpersonal and networking skills with international organizations and donors;
- Team-building skills and the ability to manage a diverse staff.
This is a remote-based position, and candidates based in Tunis, Tunisia will be considered. To apply please click here.
Organisation: Internews Network
Location: Tunis, Tunisia