Organisation: Thomson Reuters Foundation
Location: London, United KingdomCategory
Thomson Reuters Foundation is seeking a highly organised Media Development Manager with excellent management skills and knowledge of media development to support the Foundation’s Media Freedom team.
The function of the team is to provide technical oversight to media development projects, develop new and innovative approaches and products to address emerging and longstanding issues faced by the media, explore collaboration and research with external stakeholders and engage and support our network of over 20,000 alumni.
The ideal candidate must be a self-starter with the ability to deliver on competing tasks, communicate and solve problems effectively. As TRF projects are multi-layered and leverage the expertise of a variety of teams, they require a high-level of cross-team coordination. Accordingly, the candidate will also have risk-management, trust-building and prioritisation skills to achieve project success in a fast-paced organisation.
About the Role
As the Media Development Manager at the Thomson Reuters Foundation, you will work with the Media Freedom team and other TRF teams to strengthen our media development programming. This involves management of several workstreams: key internal initiatives, including working closely with the Senior Media Initiatives Manager to setup, launch and run a Quality Management System to ensure highest quality assurance of our Learning & Development work, and liaising with requisite teams to update and maintain our databases and produce analysis reports; as well as management of external-facing initiatives plus engaging with key stakeholders including our TRF alumni and TRF consultant communities.
- Manage discrete internal and external initiatives, as described above, Plan and track activities and providing regular and accurate reports as appropriate.
- Maintain and develop TRF’s media development (or learning resources) resources, producing regular data and analysis reports on consultants, training workshops, alumni and other topics as needed to support Media Freedom thought leadership, product development and stakeholder engagement
- Research and build our network and relationships across media, policy, academia, government, civil society groups, and international bodies
- Build and manage relationships with a range of stakeholders most notably TRF consultants and alumni
- Stay abreast of the latest developments in Media Freedom and Media Development sectors
- Act as the Media Freedom programme focal point for other teams
- Coordinate and provide support across all Media Freedom team workstreams, providing logistical and administrative support as needed.
- Assist with other duties as required
To be their Media Development Manager, you will have:
- Strong understanding of journalism, capacity building, the media legal environment or demonstrable strong willingness and capacity to learn.
- A pro-active, highly motivated self-starting and problem-solving attitude, including paying attention to detail and being good on follow-through with ability to work independently or in a team environment
- Excellent communication, risk management, prioritisation and relationship-building skills
- Prior experience in a relevant project management/ development work including with project inception, planning, execution, monitoring and close phases.
- Prior experience in building relationships and working with networks and communities across organisations, and working constructively with a diverse range of people
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to work with changing priorities and time pressures.
- Experience of administrative or finance processes and excellent numerical skills. Competency with
- Microsoft Office. Experience with databases (e.g. Salesforce) would be an advantage
- Fluency in English. Other languages desirable
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience