Internews is looking for a Security and Safety Manager in Mali. Under the authority of the Project Director, the Security and Safety Manager will assist the latter in the implementation of the Internews security management policy to improve security and safety standards in the Internews office area. and in the operational areas in the interior where Internews activities take place. They will work in close collaboration with the Administration, Finance and Human Resources Department of Internews Mali as well as with the Security Department of Internews Headquarters. As an active member of the Internews teams, they will have to ensure that all Internews activities are guided by security policies and procedures in line with the context of Mali and known to staff.
- Provide analysis and understanding of the security and humanitarian context;
- Ensure security and humanitarian watch in the areas of intervention of Internews in Bamako and inside the country and provide quality analysis to guide the implementation of programs;
- Provide credible information and understanding of the security context and humanitarian access incidents across Bamako and the country as well as appropriate advice to Internews staff and programs;
- Submit regular reports on the dynamics of the security context and the conditions of humanitarian access in the areas of operation of Internews;
- Provide logistic support.
Safety and Security Management
- Contribute to updating Internews security management plans and tools known to all staff;
- Under the instruction of the Project Director, conduct risk assessments related to buildings (offices and possibly residences) under contract;
- Monitor actions to be taken to ensure compliance with safety and security standards;
- Contribute to the continuous evaluation of equipment so that minimum security conditions are met, with particular attention to communication equipment (Thuraya);
- Collect and consolidate requests for movement of program teams and participate in the validation of field trips by Internews Mali staff within the country;
- Work with the Project Director, Human Resources (HR) to ensure timely and appropriate follow-up on breaches of the Internews Code of Conduct, in addition to operational breaches of the Humanitarian Principles;
- Brief all new staff members (locals and expatriates) on the security rules and the context of intervention of Internews programs, and provide them with the essential documents according to the roles and needs of each.
Humanitarian Access Management
- Participate in the implementation of humanitarian access strategies and approaches adapted to local contexts in the areas of intervention of Internews;
- Supervise and advise the field teams on the implementation and review of the adapted acceptance strategies defined by Internews;
- Ensure that Internews, its mission and its work in the areas of operations are known and accepted by beneficiary communities and conflict stakeholders;
- Participate in evaluations to consider new Internews programs in new geographies, and participate in regular evaluations of ongoing programs;
- Ensure the drafting and updating of Roads Books (mapping of axes) as well as the contact list of resource persons.
Monitoring and Reporting
- Supervise the security agents deployed at the Internews office in Bamako;
- Write weekly and monthly security reports (database) on the security situation in Internews’ areas of intervention;
- Ensure that all incidents and accidents are monitored and that an incident report is drawn up, which will then be transmitted in a timely manner;
- Ensure the maintenance of a database on incidents that have affected the Internews Office or the staff on mission in the areas of intervention of Internews projects;
- Conduct security briefings for newcomers or Internews recruits;
- Train or organize training for staff members on the use of means of communication, security rules or any other medium that can improve the security of the mission;
- Remain available to staff in the event of a support request related to the context or security and be proactive in the event of an identified need.
- Liaise with relevant actors in the field of security, for example: Specialized security companies, other NGOs focusing on the security aspect (INSO), UN agencies, UNDSS, MINUSMA,
- Upon authorization from the Project Director, represent Internews at external meetings related to security and humanitarian access issues.
- Support the Administration, Finance and Logistics department in its daily tasks (collection of pro-forma, drafting and/or proofreading of administrative correspondence;
- Carry out any other tasks that may be entrusted to him for the smooth running of the organization;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- University degree in Socio-Anthropology, Law, Management or former representative of security and/or law enforcement services;
- Two to three years of experience in management and security analysis, experience in humanitarian work would be a plus;
- Experienced and well informed of the security and community context of Mali in terms of security, estimation of risks and impacts and awareness of the dangers that could harm the organization;
- Ability to work independently with an obligation of result;
- Strong relational and editorial skills in French and other local languages (Bambara, Peulh, Dogon, Songhrai and Tamashek) in the areas where Internews operates. English will be a strong asset;
- Good knowledge of the computer tool (office pack), in particular Word, power point and spreadsheets;
Strong interpersonal skills and perfect personal integrity;
- Ability to build strong relationships with communities, partners and other stakeholders to promote understanding of Internews’ mandate and programs;
- Ability to promote acceptance of the organization present in the areas of intervention;
- Ability to work carefully, professionally, and constructively with anyone regardless of nationality, ethnicity, gender, religion, tribe, or cultural background;
- Strong situational analysis skills, attentive to the smallest details;
Internews has field offices in Mali. Ultimately, this role will be based in Bamako, Mali. This position will be hired on a rolling basis and will remain open until hire. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview and the successful candidate must be available immediately. This is a limited duration position, with expected end date of 30 November 2022. Applications should include an updated CV and cover letter expressing your interest in this role. To apply please click here.
Organisation: Internews Network and Internews Europe
Location: Bamako, Mali