Creation of a video in the form of a report or a short documentary film regarding a societal phenomenon or an issue in one or more of the following areas:
- Good governance and rule of law
- Economic development and social dialogue
- Security and the fight against violence
- Climate and social justice
These topics must be addressed in a human rights and gender based approach. Their treatment should also consider the context of Covid-19 pandemic.
1. Highlight the innovative and successful efforts of civil society organizations on the ground.
2. Highlighting the efforts of journalists with an interest in Majalat’s themes and to the efforts made by civil society on the ground.
3. Creating an interactive dynamic between journalists and civil society organizations that are working on the ground.
- Journalist, activist, amateur content creator or a fan of journalism.
- Belonging to southern Mediterranean countries
- Under 40 years of age
– Registration deadline: January 21, 2021, at 6 PM GMT
– Video creation period: From January 21 to February 28, 2021
– Deadline for video submission: February 28 at 6 PM GMT through the link mentioned above (after having completed all the necessary steps).
– A first jury, made up of member organizations of Majalat, will meet up to examine whether the submitted videos conform to Majalat’s thematics.
– A second jury, made up of renowned experts in mobile journalism from southern countries, will meet up to examine the technical aspect of the videos (the originality and innovation of the covered subject, the angle of presentation, image quality, sound and translation). This jury will be selecting the 3 winners and making an announcement before Majalat’s forum in Brussels.
- First prize: 3,500 euros
- Second prize: 2,500 euros
- Third prize: 2,000 euros
- Fourth and fifth prize: 1,000 euros
The three videos will be published on the platform and on the official pages of Majalat. Our partners will also broadcast the winning videos and national media will cover the competition and its results. These videos will also be presented at the Brussels Civil Society Forum.
Conditions and rules:
This competition is open to any journalist/activist/content creator/amateur interested in mobile journalism according to the following criteria:
• Cameras: any digital device (telephone) compatible with the following software: Kinemaster, Power director and Lumafusion. The video should be sent to the following email address: email@example.com. We are not responsible for any issues related to playing or downloading the video.
• The video must contain real situations and scenes (interviews with actors, outdoor scenes, text etc.).
• Subtitling in English or French.
• Beginning credits (competition framework, author of the work and country) and end credits (the contest sponsor disclaimer is provided to participants) including the logos of Majalat and its partners and rights reserved (contest title).
• The video must be exclusively created for the competition and must not have been previously broadcasted or shared in another competition.
• Any sort of advertising, whether it is real, false, apparent or concealed, will cause the systematic rejection of the video.
• Video and all its components (sounds, images and interviews) must not be contrary to international conventions on human rights (respect for human dignity, children’s rights, right to be different, equality, etc.). Videos whose content is defamatory, contemptuous, hurtful, racist, inciting hatred, violence, discrimination or containing any form of abuse of personal and property rights will not be taken into consideration.
More details and registration here.