Organisation: Luminate Strategic Initiatives
Location: London, U.K. or Brussels, Belgium
Luminate Strategic Initiatives is seeking for a strategic Communications Manager to lead the external communications requirements of the foundation.
The Communications Manager will be responsible for building and protecting the profile of the Luminate Strategic Initiatives (LSI) team, their work and where appropriate those of their partners. The Communications Manager will oversee, but not be limited to, all external affairs, reputation management, media strategy and relations, risk and crisis management.
LSI consolidates their global work to tackle digital threats to democracy created by the business models and products of the Big Tech platforms. The Communications Manager will be critical to the successful delivery of the objectives and scope of this work.
The ideal candidate must have demonstrable expertise in proactive profile raising for complex organisations and issues as well as clear expertise in risk and issues management. They will have strong media engagement and management skills, a sharp news sense and ability to pitch stories, and a good network of contacts across a wide variety of media. The candidate must have the analytical skills and writing ability to translate complex issues into clear and compelling content including opinion articles, briefings, speeches and talking points. They must also have the ability to work with and manage communications agencies and other content creators.
It would be highly advantageous but not essential for the candidate to have an interest in and understanding of the issue areas that the LSI team work on – such as the threats of online disinformation and hate speech – and the role of Big Tech companies are playing in distorting how information is created, disseminated and consumed. Experience in related and complementary fields such as human rights, tech policy, climate change or press freedom would also be useful.
The role sits within the Luminate Strategic Communications team – with whom they will work closely on a day-to day basis – and will report to Luminate’s Senior Director of Strategic Communications. The role will coordinate closely with LSI’s Vice President and Director of Campaigns and Media.
This position could be based in Brussels, Belgium or London, United Kingdom. Successful candidates must be based in the identified locations and have a right to work in their country of residence. Competitive salary and benefits are offered.
- Managing and building the profile and reputation of LSI through its external communications, media relations and thought leadership work
- Working closely with the LSI team to build their profiles to ensure they are being sought out as commentators and identifying opportunities to amplify our messages
- Proactively advising on reputational or other risks for LSI while supporting LSI to continue doing the work
- Effectively building relationships with communication agencies, vendors and a wide range of other stakeholders
- Carrying out media relations activity. Explore new and creative ways to engage with media and influencers
- Drafting high quality collateral including press releases, media briefings, talking points, social media messages and blogs/op-eds
- Developing and executing partnerships with externally organised events, including theme development, speaker recruitment, content preparation, and promotion
- Maintaining and updating media contact lists/ databases and organising press conferences or briefings
- Has spent a significant time in a variety of professional communication roles; with specific experience of working in a fast-moving, issues-based, highly decentralised, global organisation across multiple countries or regions
- Is motivated by the thematic focus of LSI’s work and supporting the development of a better internet
- An excellent project manager; with the ability to manage, execute and successfully deliver multiple projects at the same time
- Experienced and passionate about purpose-driven social impact work
- Talented and have proven the ability of crafting media strategies for maximal impact
- Highly collaborative; able to offer and receive constructive feedback, comfortable working in fast-paced and challenging contexts
- Experienced and effective writer; with strong briefing, writing and editing skills
- Great people skills; you’re quick to establish rapport and build relationships
- Great communicator; with strong written and verbal communication skills in English and ideally another major European language
The screening process requires candidates to respond to a handful of questions that provide perspective on how their skills would relate to the day-to-day job. Submissions will be anonymised, randomised and reviewed by a panel of reviewers from the hiring team. If shortlisted, LSI will invite you to the next step, which includes meeting with members of the team.
To apply, please click here.