ABOUT THE ROLE
Are you passionate about helping diverse communities thrive, be heard, and establish their own narrative and path? Do you have experience innovating and creating new revenue models to support impact driven organizations long into the future?
The Listening Post Collective is a community media initiative that supports dozens of startup newsrooms and longstanding reporting outlets committed to listening to and informing their communities. Our partners are at the forefront of envisioning a new future for local journalism. They provide niche news products, reporting, and services for their communities and we are looking for a Business Strategist who can work with us and our partners to spearhead new revenue opportunities and cultivate leading practices around revenue generation for the local journalism industry.
We’re looking for a dynamic and creative new team member who has a passion for product design, innovation, and strategy, and is looking for a one-of-a-kind position that drives real change.
Our ideal candidate will bring their unique business, marketing, and community building skills to our team and help create a roadmap for the Listening Post Collective and partners to realize a more sustainable future.
The Listening Post Collective is part of US programs for Internews, an international NGO based in Washington DC. This position has the possibility of being based in DC or remotely.
Business sustainability support for local partners (50% Level of Effort)
- Work with Listening Post Collective partners to build innovative new revenue opportunities
- Develop strategies and case studies for building community supported business
- Collaborate with Internews staff (the umbrella organization for the LPC) to share leading practices and encourage learning across teams
- Keep up to date on research, case studies and leading practices for business sustainability models supporting impact driven organizations, including independent media.
Listening Post Collective Business Plan (50% Level of Effort)
- Build innovative new revenue opportunities for Listening Post Collective
- Lead product design, innovation and strategy for Listening Post Collective services and products
- Understand and expertly articulate Listening Post Collective’s mission, vision and funding priorities to external audiences
- Drive the Listening Post Collective marketing and external engagement plan including branding, design, and placement
- Collaborate with Development and Communications staff at Internews to identify opportunities and areas of collaboration
- Keep abreast of relevant industry trends and leading practices and share that knowledge with others
- Experience with building and/or managing diverse revenue streams
- Experience with community engagement
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing and listening
- Understanding of and commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values
- Business education OR equivalent professional experience
- Experience with driving product design and strategy
- Successful grant writing experience
- Experience working with start-up businesses and organizations
- Marketing and branding experience an asset
To apply, please visit the Internews website: https://chm.tbe.taleo.net/chm04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1197