Lighthouse Reports is building a team with the investigative power to identify the cracks in our broken food systems – from Big Meat tax dodging and hunger profiteers speculating on food price inflation, to local-hero farmers battling industrial agriculture. But this ground-breaking work needs to move beyond the confines of hard news and into the wide open headspace we all devote to thinking about food. The Impact Producer role would suit a creative coalition builder who can bridge the worlds of food influencers and investigative journalists and find the connection points between their interests, findings and audiences in ways that can meaningfully impact the public discourse around food in Europe. Your background may be in impact work, campaigning or social media content creation. Wherever you’ve worked you care about food systems and public interest journalism.
This is an opportunity to play a significant role doing vitally important work in the field of public interest journalism. Lighthouse Reports’s team is based across Europe so location is flexible but European time zones preferred. Lighthouse wants its team to be as representative as possible of the stories and issues that it covers. Lighthouse strongly encourages people from communities under-represented in European media to apply.
About Lighthouse Reports:
Lighthouse Reports is an award-winning nonprofit newsroom that undertakes public interest investigations in partnership with some of the world’s leading media. Lighthouse teams work on investigations covering climate, conflict and corruption and serving multiple platforms, crossing borders, languages and formats. Lighthouse provides editors, tools, specialists and resources to working journalists with the results reaching the public on the world’s leading media outlets. Lighthouse is not a publisher so it channels all of its energy and resources into collaborations. Lighthouse Reports leads complex transnational investigations that blend freedom of information laws and money trails with emerging techniques like open source and data science. Lighthouse is evolving into the most effective adaptor to connect journalistic coalitions and power accountability and change. Lighthouse is also developing strategies to enhance the impact of its investigations so that stories have a life beyond the news and impact beyond audience reach.
- Work with the Food Systems Editor to develop and manage high-impact journalism.
- Design, launch and manage strategic social actions to generate engagement around the issues highlighted in the food systems newsroom’s investigations.
- Broaden existing networks and develop new partnerships; engage new audiences and actors.
- Map landscape of civil society actors and influencers concerned with food systems.
- Work with Lighthouse’s open source and data journalists to develop reporting methodologies.
- Work with Impact Editor to track activities’ impact.
- Convene and manage advisory panel for food systems newsroom.
- Create and manage database of partners and contacts that will be replicable across newsrooms.
- Report regularly to full team on your work with a view toward replicability across newsrooms.
- Assist in ad hoc tasks.
- Participate in relevant team and story meetings.
- Strong commitment to and passion for collaborative work. There’s no room for ego on Lighthouse Reports’ team.
- Track record of managing and executing strategic social impact campaigns and activities.
- Excellent political judgement and understanding of effective messaging on food systems issues.
- Experience working on cross-border projects, including working with teams with different languages, traditions, formats and pace of working.
- Familiarity with collaborative software, including project management tools.
- Diplomatic skills and lots of empathy.
- Ability to juggle multiple complex projects with many moving parts and deadlines, while remaining calm under pressure.
- Strong organisational skills and experience of self-directed work.
- Familiarity with public interest journalism.
- Knowledge of food systems and/or environmental issues.
- Additional languages and a strong professional network are a bonus.
- Experience working with multimedia, social media, TV or radio, are also a plus.
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working
Deadline for applications: January 3, 2023
To apply, please click here.
Organisation: Lighthouse Reports
Location: Remote in Europe