- a Local Reporter award that recognizes the often over-looked work of journalists in developing nations or countries in transition who write about events in their homeland.
- a Freelance award for those journalists who travel to the world’s conflict zones, usually at great personal risk, to witness and report the impact and consequences of events.
- A News Fixer award rewarding local journalists and/or experts, hired by a visiting foreign reporter or news organization, whose guidance and local knowledge materially benefited the content, impact and reach of the stories submitted.
Each award is for $5,000 and will be presented at a prestigious ceremony in London in late September 2021.
The deadline for entries is midnight (GMT) on 31st May 2021.
If you would like to apply, or make a nomination for the newly introduced News Fixer award, please visit the 2021 entry form page which provides definitions for each of the award categories and will guide you through the application process. Some of the main detail is also included below:
2021 Submission criteria
- Three separate articles must be submitted, including when journalists are nominating fixers for the new award.
- The submitted articles must have been published between June 1, 2020 and May 31, 2021.
- Accepted media: any print-based medium, such as newspapers and magazines, or established online publications. Blogs, personal websites and social media pages or channels are not accepted.
- Articles can encompass war reporting, human rights issues, cross-border troubles, corruption or other controversial matters impacting on people’s lives. Judges will be looking for professionalism, high journalistic standards, and evidence of dedication and courage in obtaining the story.
- Because of problems with scanned entries and failed links in previous years, we require that each article be provided as a text file – MS Word (.doc or .docx) or similar text format (.rtf), or a PDF of a text file.
- You may supply a URL link to your article(s), or a scan (as a PDF or JPG file) as supporting evidence of the publication context, but your entry will be disqualified if you do not also submit the required text files.
- The awards panel will take into account nominations for fixers who have received more than one recommendation from journalists they have worked with.
Additional material you must provide:
- a CV or resumé about your education and journalism career or about that of the fixer you are nominating.
- a passport-quality photo (JPEG, GIF or PNG file, size no larger than 250Kb) of yourself or that of the fixer you are nominating.
- a high standard English translation if the original articles are not in English.
- a short statement explaining what you had to do to get the story.
Please, find more information and apply here.