JournalismAI is looking for a Project Manager and Team Lead to shape strategy and coordinate the execution of its programmes and activities.
JournalismAI is a global initiative that empowers news organisations to use artificial intelligence responsibly. JournalismAI supports innovation and capacity-building in news organisations to make the potential of AI more accessible and to counter inequalities in the global news media around AI. JournalismAI is a project of Polis – the LSE’s journalism think-tank – and is supported by the Google News Initiative.
JournalismAI’s activities include the JournalismAI Fellowship Programme, a collaborative initiative that brings together journalists and technologists from media organisations worldwide; the JournalismAI Academy for Small Newsrooms, a training programme to help small newsrooms leverage the power of artificial intelligence; the JournalismAI Festival, an annual conference celebrating the most exciting developments at the intersection of journalism and AI; and the creation of training resources for journalists, including the JournalismAI Starter Pack and JournalismAI Discovery.
About the role:
JournalismAI is looking for a Project Manager and Team Lead to shape strategy and coordinate the execution of its programmes and activities. This is a unique opportunity for a dynamic and organised professional to take the reins of an ambitious and well-established initiative and shape how JournalismAI continues supporting its growing global community of over 6,000 journalists and media professionals.
The ideal candidate will have experience leading small projects and teams, in journalism or related fields. They will be comfortable balancing numerous tasks simultaneously, while creating the best possible conditions for team members to lead their programmes. They should be good at breaking complex projects into smaller and more manageable components, knowing when to be more hands-off and when to get more involved in implementing strategy.
You should apply if:
- You understand the importance that technology plays in the present and future of journalism, and believe in the potential of using technology as a force for good to support journalism’s mission in society.
- You are excited by the opportunity to oversee every phase and facet of a project, including building systems to support effective delivery and growth.
- You lead with empathy and take pride in putting your team in the condition to thrive, valuing deep listening and collaborative work.
- Work closely with the Project Director to set the vision for JournalismAI and shape the strategy to achieve the project’s mission.
- Oversee the work of the Programme Managers to ensure timely and quality delivery of all JournalismAI programmes.
- Coordinate the work of the JournalismAI team across time zones, ensuring efficient collaboration and communications.
- Understand and engage the project’s global community, expanding JournalismAI’s network of partners and supporters, and strengthening existing relationships.
- Lead the ideation and creation of accessible resources to support improvements in AI literacy across the journalism industry.
- Manage the admin side of the project in collaboration with LSE stakeholders, and keep comprehensive documentation on the project’s activities and impact.
- Be an ambassador for JournalismAI, speaking at conferences and training journalists and media professionals in the fundamentals of AI for journalism.
- Coordinate the editorial and branding aspects of the project, writing newsletters and maintaining an effective and clear presence for the project online.
- Liaise with the project’s funders, ensuring a seamless flow of information, and alignment on mission and objectives.
Qualities to be successful in this role:
JournalismAI expects that the strongest candidates will have the following skills and areas of expertise in varying degrees. Please consider applying even if you don’t meet all of the requirements in the list below. Use your application to tell JournalismAI about the skills you bring that may not be listed but that you consider relevant for the position:
- Substantial experience working in and around journalism – for media organisations or journalism support organisations.
- Relevant project management experience: you enjoy creating projects and delivering them on time and with demonstrable impact.
- Proven experience in leading international and interdisciplinary teams that get things done while taking care of each other.
- A strong leader with a passion for supporting teammates’ growth through feedback, resources, and constant communication.
- Familiarity with artificial intelligence technologies, their applications in – and implications for – journalism.
- Awareness of the representation issues that characterise both the field of journalism and artificial intelligence in relation to gender, ethnicity, geography, among others.
- A great communicator – both at explaining and listening. You get excited about people and processes and thrive at the intersection of the two.
- Familiarity with design thinking and user experience design, to ensure the creation and delivery of projects that meet the needs of JournalismAI’s community.
- A data-driven approach to decision making, with the ability to learn from past actions and apply the insights to optimise processes and outcomes.
- A strong international network in journalism, which can be leveraged to promote the project’s activities and ensure they are rightly positioned in the context of wider industry trends.
Compensation and work conditions:
- This is a full-time position with an annual salary between £ 48,000 and £ 56,000, based on experience.
- The successful candidate must be based in London, UK, but the position does not require a daily presence at the office.
- Flexible work schedule – some travel may be required.
- 30 days of paid annual leave, which can increase based on project requirements and team needs.
How to apply:
Please send an email to email@example.com with “Project Manager & Team Lead, JournalismAI” as subject line, including:
- Your resume
- Where you are based
- A short cover letter explaining why you are interested in the position and why you are the right person for the job.
- Any other relevant information about your experience, including links to personal website, LinkedIn profile, etc.
Please be prepared to provide two professional references.
JournalismAI is committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages, and it especially encourages members of traditionally under-represented communities to apply, including women, people of colour, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities.
If you have any questions before applying, please contact Prof Charlie Beckett, JournalismAI Director, at C.H.Beckett@LSE.ac.uk.
Applications close on 15 January, 2023.
Location: London, United Kingdom