- Applicants must have a right to work in Australia
- Applicants must be aged 30 years and under at the time of application
- Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- A demonstrated passion for journalism
- Excellent presentation, research and writing skills
- The ability to spot a newsworthy yarn
- Experience in interviewing people in researching for stories
- Experience in pitching stories and ideas on presentation of stories
- The ability to be part of a collaborative, busy environment
- Written and spoken proficiency in English
- The ability to work to a deadline
- A positive, willing and adaptable approach to the role at all times
- Funding amount: $1000 to $10,000
- Type of funding: Fellowships
- Target countries: Australia
- Application languages: English
The Walkely Foundation is inviting proposals from aspiring journalists for its JNI Opportunity Fellowships to develop their newsroom experience with a leading news provider.
The fellowship will give talented early-career journalists and individuals from diverse backgrounds wanting to enter the profession the chance to develop their journalism careers through an opportunity to work in a newsroom, build connections, and undertake substantive reporting at the host organisation’s direction.
The twelve-week fellowships will take place in three cities:
- One fellowship will take place at Nine Melbourne with the recipient gaining experience across 9News, The Age and 3AW.
- One fellowship will take place in Sydney at Guardian Australia.
- One fellowship will take place in Brisbane at Ten News First and The Courier-Mail.
- Recipients will receive a stipend of $10,000 to cover living expenses, such as travel & accommodation, for the duration of the fellowship.
- Newsrooms will provide the recipients with support and guidance, including an experienced journalist to mentor them throughout the duration of the fellowship.
Find out more and apply