Subgrants Officer- Middle East and North Africa
Location: Washington, D.C.
Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly incubated hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped these partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
About the Opportunity
Internews is seeking a Subgrants Officer to support the Middle East and North Africa program management unit (MENA PMU). The Subgrants Officer ensures the execution of Internews grants within the framework of projects funded by US and European donors. The Subgrants Officer is responsible for establishing and maintaining effective and productive relationships with local media organizations and media outlets including core partners, sub-grantees and recipients of small grants. The Subgrants Officer will report to the Senior Program Officer for the Middle East and North Africa at Internews.
Our Commitment to Fostering a Culture of Belonging
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents, and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Right now, all Internews offices are closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and Internews staff are working remotely until at least 1 July 2021. The ideal candidate for this role will be based in the DC area and able to come to the downtown DC office once it reopens. Until that time, this position will function remotely and remote candidates will be considered.
Key Responsibilities Include the Following:
- Support organizations receiving grants from Internews’ MENA programs in the proper management of their grants
- Establish all subgrant procedures and mechanisms.
- Manage the MENA PMU’s partners’ subgrants and alert the Senior Program Officer and Business Officer regarding any performance or financial reporting issues.
- Ensure technical, financial, and administrative compliance with Internews’ and donors’ subgrant management/reporting procedures.
- Analyze narrative and financial reports as well as all supporting documents for expenses incurred in the context of grants awarded by Internews.
- Provide and supervise training and capacity building activities to subgrantees on financial reporting procedures and mechanisms.
- Maintain communication and relationships with local partners, makes sure of media stakeholders’ involvement in the project, and ensure partners’ feedback is included in project management.
- Ensure timely financial reporting and effective collaboration with relevant Internews staff.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Qualifications We’re Looking For
- Ability and permission to work and reside in Washington D.C.
- A degree in business administration/management, accounting, or the social sciences with more than five years of professional experience in grants management, partnerships, and/or capacity building of local partners.
- Experience in managing subgrants.
- Experience working on USAID and/or DRL-funded projects, especially reporting mechanisms; and extensive knowledge of USAID rules and regulations for grants and subgrants management.
- Knowledge of and experience in working with local partners, especially media outlets and media development organizations.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Proficiency in Arabic is required.
- Proficiency in other regional languages- such as French, Kurdish, Dari/ Pashtu and/or Farsi- is preferred
- Proven interpersonal and networking skills
- Team-building skills and effective communication, motivating leadership skills
- This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.
To apply, please visit the Internews website: https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1262