Internews is currently implementing i-STREAM (Strengthening a Free and Independent Media in South Sudan), a five-year USAID-funded media project, and is recruiting for a new Chief of Party for a dynamic media development and humanitarian media project.
The CoP will be a strong, inspirational leader, providing oversight in ensuring that grants received by Internews to help independent media are properly executed and reported. They are a patient and flexible senior manager, with experience managing large USAID grants, especially in remote, conflict-ridden environments. The position will be based in Juba, South Sudan for the duration of the project, with field travel as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide overall management, vision and direction of program, including budget management, technical oversight and quality assurance.
- Guide and advise program teams who manage up to nine community radio stations, innovative communication projects in IDP camps and POC sites throughout the country, business and leadership development, and various activities of local partners.
- Manage up to 200 national and international staff in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Directly supervise the Senior Leadership Team members, who oversee and manage work streams/departments including: community radio, humanitarian information, local capacity development, security, operations and finance. Lead SLT meetings which encourage cooperation and decision making among SLT members.
- Work closely with Security Director to oversee a strong country risk management process, including plans, policies, drills, training, SOPs, HRE plan, etc.
- Ensure project is mission-driven, leading through trust, inspiration, compassion and a strong desire to meet the information needs of the people of South Sudan.
- Work with diverse partners across the country on strengthening the role of independent media and humanitarian information in South Sudan.
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all grant and cooperative agreement rules, requirements and regulations as well as with Internews internal policies and procedures.
- Oversee key senior staff responsible for day-to-day training, research, logistics and administration of the project, including building team cohesion and direction.
- Act as primary point of contact with the USAID mission in South Sudan and Washington, DC, maintaining collaborative and responsive relationship.
- Work closely with HQ administrative team to ensure timely and accurate financial responsibilities are met.
- Develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of the media sector in South Sudan, and the South Sudan context overall.
- Maintain contact with NGO colleagues, UN agencies, donors, partners and local government officials and authorities in the region.
- Ensure the Internews South Sudan office is properly registered and conforms to local laws.
- Collaborate closely with all partner organizations to monitor their progress and provide technical support as needed.
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the project, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable and correctly allocated.
- Ensure compliance for all reports, including work plans, weekly, quarterly, annual and final reports, in compliance with donor guidelines..
- In all duties, understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS OF SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
- Visionary leader able to inspire others to achieve project goals.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience managing a major USAID-funded project as CoP, or equivalent.
- Minimum 10 years of management experience on large projects with significant size staff.
- Master’s degree in media, journalism, communications, international development, humanitarian sector, democracy & governance or related field.
- Proven ability to lead and supervise a diverse team of up to 200 staff.
- Successful track record in supervising, designing, managing and implementing technical assistance programs.
- Excellent ability to provide budget, operational and administrative oversight of $10M annual budget.
- A thorough understanding of the work of humanitarian and development agencies, including working within the UN cluster system and peacekeeping operations.
- Flexible, easy-going, stress-free manager who thrives in creative environment.
- Knowledge of, and strong experience in, budget management, projections and budget analysis.
- Experience in human resources and staff development.
- Experience in organizational development, policies, and procedures.
- Experience and expertise in USAID projects, rules and regulations.
- Experience living and working in Africa and/or conflict/post-conflict environments.
- Ability to adjust to shifting political circumstances and create programming accordingly.
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics in the workplace and experience supervising staff.
- Must be self-reliant, resourceful, good problem-solver, good humored and flexible.
- Ability to travel within and spend extended time in the field, with limited facilities, often under harsh conditions.
- Excellent English oral and written skills mandatory.
- Ability and desire to live and work in a challenging environment.
Full information can be found here.