Internews is seeking a Chief of Party candidate for a USAID-funded Investing in Independent Media (IIM) Activity with the general goal of expanding access to information among the general public and supporting sustainable independent media. The Chief of Party will be the primary liaison with USAID on technical matters and will adjust programming and operations in response to USAID technical direction; provide strategic guidance and leadership for Internews’ program; coordinate technical, legal and professional capacity building assistance to partners and beneficiaries; ensure proper oversight of the Internews IIM Activity personnel, financial management and administration policies, and coordinate with other media stakeholders in the region to ensure that Internews leverages other resources, avoids duplication, and complements other media development initiatives. The Chief of Party will also be responsible for establishing strong partnerships and dialogue with the appropriate donor representatives.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Provide leadership, management, representational and operational oversight for Internews’ Investing in Independent Media Activity;
- Provide strategic, operational and representational assistance to ensure that activities are meeting their goals and targets, recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the project on track;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local partner organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries;
- Track and report project progress and tasks monthly against work plans;
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation in the region to ensure effective implementation and to measure the impact of activities;
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of independent media issues in the region (print, broadcast and new media), and a general understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing independent media across the region;
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all contract rules, requirements and regulations as well as with Internews internal policies and procedures;
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the activity, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable and correctly allocated;
- Provide management and oversight of daily operations of the Internews program in the region;
- Accept fiduciary responsibility for all funds advanced for the purpose of the Activity;
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s polices and applicable laws;
- Carry out management of responsibilities including interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; addressing complaints and resolving problems under the IIM Activity; and
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Manage and oversee all staff under the IIM Activity. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- At least 10 years of professional experience with a donor, contractor, or international NGO, managing an office or program, with at least five years of demonstrated supervisory experience, including management of a team of at least 10 people;
- A Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field such as international relations, political science, journalism, public administration, law, or peace/conflict studies. A B.A./B.S. in a similar field is acceptable with at least 12 years of professional experience and six years of supervisory experience as described above.
- Proven senior-level management experience in challenging and complex field environments leading the design, management, and implementation of similar-sized donor supported media programs, as well as experience overseeing, managing and/or leading monitoring and evaluation processes.
- Strong communication skills, including interpersonal and in written and oral English.
Please, apply here.