Organisation: Internews Network and Internews Europe
The Rooted in Trust project works to combat COVID-19 rumors and misinformation in Afghanistan, Lebanon, Philippines, Colombia, Mali, Sudan and South Sudan. We work to create impact at the local level and inform approaches to rumor management at the global level. The project is supported by a Global Technical Advisory team made up of media, humanitarian, data science and information management experts. In Phase 1 of the project, we collected more than 19 thousand rumors in 14 languages and supported more than 30 local trusted information providers. In this critical phase of the pandemic, we will build on these efforts to listen and respond to the information challenges faced by vulnerable groups in humanitarian contexts, encouraging open dialogue between citizens and scientists and stronger and more collaborative partnerships between information providers (such as local media) and humanitarian and health sources.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Senior Data Analyst (SDA) is a key role in the Global Technical Advisory team. The SDA will be tasked with wrangling qualitative and quantitative rumor data and working to find trends and information that help us better understand community perceptions of the pandemic and vaccines. The SDA will build systems and processes that support clear tagging and sorting of data as well as advising a team of analysts to contribute to the production of reports and other products for humanitarian, health, media, and community audiences.
- Lead and build workflows for qualitative data collection/feedback gathering by Internews field staff and support teams to turn analysis into engaging visualizations;
- Apply data analysis and predictive modeling tools to COVID-19 data from disparate sources to identify trends and highlight risk behaviors and beliefs;
- Actively source and integrate datasets from search trends, health and other relevant data sets;
- Build systems and processes to allow a team of analysts to clean and filter qualitative datasets and guide them to create engaging visualizations and reports that bring the data to life;
- Create automations to improve workflow for data analyses and other systems and, where necessary, develop machine learning models for analyzing data and gaining deeper insights;
- Support data gathering by Internews staff and partners by evaluating methodology and suggesting improvements;
- Work alongside and collaborate with researchers, journalists, and humanitarian communicators;
- Support Monitoring and Evaluation activities to assess impact, reach, and quality of the ongoing project;
- Contribute to the production of multimedia materials (i.e., blog posts, photos, podcasts, webinars, etc.), documenting the life of the project and lessons learned for internal and external audiences, as required; and
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Degree in Information Management, Computer Science, Geographic Information Systems, Statistics, or a related field
- Five years of relevant professional experience as a data analyst, researcher or journalist
- Experience consulting about the results of analysis or explaining analyses to technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience in wrangling large, messy datasets
- A solid understanding of how data, storytelling and design work together to humanize data and spark insights and meaningful conversations
- Strong writing skills and a talent for making data make sense to diverse audiences
- Experience working in fast moving humanitarian and/or media contexts
- At least one programming language (e.g., Python, R, STATA) and SQL
- Experience creating engaging data visualizations and hands-on experience with major BI tools (i.e., Tableau and Power BI Tableau, others)
- Relevant experience working with data collection and analysis software, including Kobo Toolbox, Excel, and similar software
- Team-building skills and the ability to support a diverse staff in a challenging and highly fluid environment; experience with remote management highly prioritized
- Fluency in English
- Fluency in Arabic, French or Spanish an advantage
Please, find more details and apply here.