Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly incubated hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped these partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
About the Opportunity
Internews is seeking a Media Engagement Specialist for a potential USAID-funded media and civil society initiative in Nepal. This position will coordinate closely with program-supported media outlets and develop their technical capacity and financial sustainability and link them with civil society organizations. The Media Engagement Specialist will also contribute to the growth and independence of the media sector in Nepal as a whole by building trusted working relationships with media outlets and practitioners and advising on selection of consultants, training topics, and agendas for project-supported events.
**Note: This position is contingent upon receipt of funding.**
Key Responsibilities include the following:
- Lead technical assessments of project beneficiaries to identify their needs and develop plans to address those needs; ensure that beneficiaries adhere to their plans to meet their stated goals.
- Provide technical expertise on design of relevant trainings mentoring programs, and/or consultations to local media outlets to produce engaging, quality reporting that holds government to account, to address information disorder, and strengthen self-regulation.
- In collaboration with the Chief of Party, oversee development of training and event agendas, including identifying Nepali and regional thematic experts to serve as trainers, mentors, and speakers. Provide in-person trainings, online webinars, master classes, and/or panel sessions as necessary.
- Foster development of national, regional, and inclusive ties for program beneficiaries to develop productive working relationships and information exchange within Nepal and across the larger region.
- Manage program technical staff experts to ensure that program beneficiaries receive high quality, targeted support.
- Nurture relationships with media outlets and media support organizations in the region to identify potential program beneficiaries and extend the program’s potential reach.
- Support program reporting, monitoring and evaluation data collection from partners, and other administrative elements as necessary.
- Provide strategic, operational and representational leadership to ensure that activities are meeting their goals and targets on time and within budget, recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the program on track.
- Provide support as necessary for developing new relationships and business initiatives;
- Work with the Chief of Party, local partners, and local staff to design innovative strategies that support Nepali media outlets and strengthen the media and civil society sectors holistically.
- Maintain in-depth understanding of issues affecting both the media community and the civil society community in Nepal, including security and political factors.
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Qualifications We’re Looking For:
- Proven experience in media advocacy and engagement on rule of law, human rights, transparency and accountability issues, or related fields
- Significant social and digital media expertise
- Deep understanding of the media sector in Nepal, as well as working knowledge of the broader media environment in Asia
- Experience implementing complex, multifaceted programs with demonstrated skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities
- Fluency in English and Nepali
- Graduate degree in communications, journalism or related field
- Experience in journalism training and media capacity-building preferred
- Experience providing technical assistance on USG-funded media and/or civil society projects in complex development environments highly desired
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills; ability to interact effectively with local and international partners, staff, and government officials
To apply, please visit the Internews website: https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1256