Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly incubated hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped these partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
About the Opportunity
The Country Director provides direct oversight to ensure that grants received by Internews to help independent media in Sudan are properly executed and reported. The Country Director also provides oversight for Internews operations in Sudan.
Key Responsibilities include the following:
- Oversee and coordinate all projects in the country;
- Liaise with donors;
- Maintain close contact with other Internews managers in the region;
- Maintain contact with local government officials;
- Assist in programmatic development and project support for future programs;
- Coordinate and supervise the delivery of all project-related reports;
- Help prepare proposals, reports, and budgets (write, edit, proof, and revise);
- Prepare correspondence and reports from local conferences and discussion panels;
- Develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of independent media in the country;
- Strategize new directions for Internews to help independent media within the country/region;
- Work with the Program Development team on new initiative opportunities and new potential stakeholders;
- Ensure Internews Field Office conforms to local labor and tax laws;
- Request wire transfers from Headquarters Accounting for operating expenses;
- Field Office responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Qualifications We’re Looking For:
· 7+ years programmatic experience or relevant advanced degree
· Language fluency and computer literacy in both English and Arabic
· Ability to work in Sudan
· Excellent communication, team-leading, with a strong sense of initiative
· Ability to prioritize and handle multiple ongoing assignments
· Experience writing and reporting for grants
· Journalism or media development education and/or experience
· Experience managing a team
· Experience with financial reporting
· Proficiency in MS Office and experience in managing databases
· Experience working in region and extensive understanding of the Sudanese context
· Experience working in challenging, volatile contexts
Note: This position is posted in a High or Extreme Physical Risk location. Conditions in the field may include, but are not limited to the following: compound living quarters, limited mobility outside of designated areas, limited in-country medical care or pharmacy, limited access to fresh fruit and vegetables, limited access to high speed internet, dress code requirements, unaccompanied posting, and required advanced safety and security training. If selected for an interview for this position, ensure you discuss the specifics of living and working in this unique operating environment and consider them at length during the recruitment process.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.
To apply, please visit the Internews website: https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1336