Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Their vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. They have proudly incubated hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped these partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
Read more about Internews’ work here.
Internews is seeking a Subgrants Manager a potential USAID-funded media support project initiative in Indonesia.
The Subgrants manager also works with the Finance, Admin & HR Manager to provide administrative, programmatic and technical leadership for the subgrants component of Internews programming in Indonesia.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Launch and administer sub-partner grants and grant pools
- Day-to-day administration of subgrants
- Oversee the award process, in close collaboration with Internews HQ Subgrants team and local subgrants and finance staff.
- Draft award agreements and modifications, and, within specific limits established, approve subgrants as allowed by Internews policy and funder restrictions.
- Work with successful applicants to ensure agreements are well understood and appropriate for their project and capacity.
- Conduct needs assessments and capacity assessments of subrecipients.
- Create capacity development plans for subrecipients, together with all departments, including finance, logistics, M&E etc.
- Identify technical support partner (s) to ensure programmatic capacity building and activities are properly implemented, and adequate programmatic training is received.
- Work with candidate subrecipients to finalize budgets and activities.
- Provide monitoring and oversight on subgrants, including financial tracking and progress toward deliverables.
- Ensure compliance with USAID rules and regulations.
- Maintain subrecipient activity tracking schedules for project development, field reports, site visits, and follow-up communications with funders.
- Review and track subgrant financial reporting; Investigate financial discrepancies or deficiencies.
- Conduct site visits and desk audits of select subgrants
- Manage all non-programmatic reporting related to subgrants including accruals, cost share, VAT, financial status, year-end subgrant cash, etc.
- Work closely with technical support partner on all programmatic reporting.
- Prepare subgrant documentation for Audits.
- Serve as point of contact for subgrant Audit issues.
- Conduct subgrant budget analysis and review budgets for accuracy, completeness, and adherence to internal financial requirements.
- Supervise the grants staff.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Proven experience with grants coordination/monitoring experience, including field experience
- University degree in finance, administration, international relations, or related field
- Knowledge of Indonesia’s media landscape is a plus
- Excellent analytical and financial management skills
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Experience with MS Excel and Word
- Proven organization skills, with attention to detail
- Proven ability to multi-task and prioritize with a shifting workload
- Fluency in English
- Understanding of and experience with the administration of USAID grants, cooperative agreements and contracts
- Experience monitoring recipients of USG and other funding sources
- Experience with administrative systems of international NGOs
- Skilled in cooperative resolution of problems
- Strong financial management skills
- Proven ability to develop and monitor work plans and training plans.
- Practical experience in establishing and operating participatory training programs
- Ability to adjust to shifting political circumstances and create programming accordingly
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics in the workplace and experience supervising staff
Full details about the position are available here.