Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Their vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. They have proudly incubated hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped these partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
Read more about Internews’ work here.
Internews is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party (DCoP) candidate for a USAID-funded media support initiative with the general goal of expanding access to information among the general public of Myanmar and supporting sustainable independent media.
The DCoP will report to the Chief of Party and provide management leadership on all aspects of program implementation. The DCoP will lead teams to ensure good coordination and communications for the efficient and effective implementation of the program.
This position will oversee the program’s day-to-day operations and work in close partnership with the CoP. The position will be based in Yangon, Myanmar.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Support the Country Director/CoP in the design and implementation of annual work plans and ensure the implementation of those plans, working with program teams in Internews and with other key stakeholders.
- Oversee the program’s day-to-day operations in close partnership with the Chief of Party.
- Provide management leadership to the program implementation team.
- Lead on grant making decision processes to local NGOs and media organizations.
- Ensure project implementation is in compliance with Internews’ policies as well as USAID rules and regulations.
- Write and revise program reports, communications materials, and other programs.
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation to ensure effective implementation and to measure program impact.
- Maintain strategic awareness of independent media issues in the country and within the broader region, and a thorough understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing independent media, especially online digital media.
- Ensure the program is in compliance with all cooperative agreement rules, requirements, and regulations, as well as with Internews’ internal policies and procedures.
- Represent Internews and coordinate with key stakeholders including USAID, Government, NGOs and media organizations.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Chief of Party.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Professional experience in a senior management position with significant staff, financial and administrative oversight
- Significant experience in either print, broadcast or new media
- Experience as a manager or trainer with professional capacity-building programs for journalists and media outlets
- Graduate degree in journalism, public policy, development or related field
- Previous management experience, including significant staff, financial and administrative oversight
- Demonstrated ability to liaise and navigate effectively with USG agencies, host country government officials, private sector stakeholders, and other donors
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience managing in the region is highly desired
- Local language skills are highly desirable
- Experience managing contracts preferred
Full details about the position are available here.