The Rooted in Trust project works to combat COVID-19 rumors and misinformation in Afghanistan, Lebanon, Philippines, Colombia, Mali, Sudan, and South Sudan. We work to create impact at the local level and information approaches to rumor management at the global level. The project is supported by a Global Technical Advisory team made up of media, humanitarian, data science, and information management experts. In Phase 1 of the project, we collected more than 19 thousand rumors in 14 languages and supported more than 30 local trusted information providers. In this critical phase of the pandemic, we will build on these efforts to listen and respond to the information challenges faced by vulnerable groups in humanitarian contexts, encouraging open dialogue between citizens and scientists and stronger and more collaborative partnerships between information providers (such as local media) and humanitarian and health resources.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Regional Manager is a key role in the project leadership team. The Regional Manager will provide strategic leadership and guidance to program operations in three to four focal countries, including mentoring country-level project managers, ensuring activities are implemented on time and in line with methodology, and looking for opportunities to share strengths between the program teams. This position will work closely with the Project Director and Deputy Project Director in the ongoing leadership of the project.
- Work closely with the Project Director and Deputy Project Director to provide strategic leadership to the project and the Global Technical Team;
- Identify, hire, and onboard country-level Project Managers, and support them to build their teams of humanitarian data managers, humanitarian information production managers, humanitarian liaison officers, etc.;
- Liaise closely with three country-level operations, providing programmatic and management mentoring and guidance and ensuring teams are adequately connected with the support structures present within the project and the wider organization;
- Ensure representation of project activities within relevant regional humanitarian coordination structures and actively connect and engage with regional fact-checking organizations and media bodies to collaborate and share resources and learning;
- Liaise closely with the wider leadership structure for the region, including ensuring Country Directors, Regional Directors, and other key project staff are kept informed of project successes and challenges and look for areas of collaboration;
- Advocate for the necessary training and skill building opportunities for country-level teams and partners;
- Ensure all project deliverables are completed according to agreed timelines and budgets;
- Work with the Global Technical Team to ensure robust monitoring and evaluation, data responsibility, and information management practices;
- Actively look for opportunities to collaborate with the wider organization and promote best practices from within the project;
- Keep up to date with the impacts of COVID-19 in the region, including progress towards equitable vaccine distribution;
- Look for new funding and collaboration opportunities;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Extensive project management experience in a multi-country response, with the ability to deliver results to agreed timelines and budgets
- Awareness of and familiarity with the issues and dynamics of the COVID-19 pandemic and/or other health crises in humanitarian contexts a strong asset
- Track record in implementing community media projects and/or humanitarian information projects with a focus on participation and community engagement
- Experience working in humanitarian contexts and/or working in challenging environments, with a strong understanding of how to work effectively with local authorities, organizations, and community representatives as well as international agencies like the UN, international NGOs
- Experience in partner and relationship management
- Experience working remotely managing diverse teams and a talent for creating a welcoming and productive work environment
- Strong interpersonal communication, organizational, teamwork, facilitation, and presentation skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Experience working in Afghanistan, Philippines, or Lebanon and a good network of local media or humanitarian contacts a distinct advantage
- Fluency in Arabic, Dari, Pashto, or French a distinct advantage
Please, apply here.