Internews is seeking consultant(s) with topical expertise to build clear and concise summaries covering a variety of topics at the intersection of emerging technologies and their benefits for, and risks to, international development work, specifically in the democracy, governance, and human rights fields.
The audience for these explainers will be international development practitioners, implementers and donors around the world, with the goal of providing a neutral and thoughtful analysis of emerging technologies and the “buzzwords” connected to them, in order to improve decision-making on inclusion or work with these concepts.
Researchers will cover one or more topics to provide a simple-language, jargon-free summary of the concept, its core features/benefits, risks and negative impacts it can have, related technologies, and specific questions that should be asked when considering leveraging each. These summary points should be supported with references and case studies (linked to public reports).
Internews expects these reports to be holistic, thoughtful, comprehensive, and reflect the vantage points of marginalized and vulnerable populations as well as the complex realities and contexts international development work operates in.
Examples of topics include, but are not limited to, digital IDs, artificial intelligence, digital currency, mobile money, machine learning and data privacy. Consultant should specify which topic(s) they have expertise in, including those not listed here.
The consultant(s) will work in coordination with Internews’ Director of Global Technology Strategy, who is the editor of this project.
SCOPE OF WORK
- Using experience and background, as well as desk research, draft explainer in specified format
- Provide curated list of case studies and relevant reading materials
- Work with project editor on revisions as needed
- Proven experience in the topic(s) proposed to cover (to include published writing, work/consultation history, or a relevant advanced degree);
- Experience in international development and/or field work;
- Fluent in English;
- Excellent communication skills, specifically a demonstrated ability to convey complex topics clearly through writing and/or diagrams;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent writer; samples required;
- Strong research skills; ability to direct research assistance for maximum results;
- This consultancy is open to both individuals and organizations;
- Understanding of and commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
This consultancy is open to both individuals and organizations. Applicants should specify which topic(s) they have expertise in and submit or link to writing samples or other work that demonstrates their knowledge in the areas they list.
Full details about the position are available here.