Internews is looking for a Project Coordinator for the USAID-funded Clean Air Catalyst (Catalyst) project in Nairobi, Kenya. The Project Coordinator will lead the design and implementation of Internews’ Clean Air Catalyst activities for the Nairobi pilot project. The Project Coordinator will serve as the focal point for all internal and external Catalyst-related communication in Nairobi and responsible for the timely completion of all Internews’ Clean Air Catalyst activities in Nairobi, Kenya. The Kenya Project Coordinator will also be responsible for coordinating with other Internews staff and CAC project partners working on the project and maintaining good relationships with them.
About the project:
The Clean Air Catalyst (CAC) is a flagship project launched by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and led by the World Resources Institute and the Environmental Defense Fund. The project aims to accelerate clean air solutions by working with communities around the world to identify and raise awareness of local pollution sources, and to build focused coalitions which deliver interventions leading to cleaner, healthier air. The five-year program will help build capacity for tailored, self-reliant solutions that cut air pollution and improve human health in developing countries.
Nairobi, Kenya is one of the three pilot cities under this project. Through these pilots, the project will create a practical, field-tested playbook for convening collaboration among key stakeholders, identifying and building awareness of air quality priorities, and leveraging USAID missions’ strengths to deliver and sustain cleaner air.
Internews, as a pivotal information partner of Catalyst, will be implementing activities in Nairobi in the third and fourth years of the project. These include a study on coverage of air pollution in mainstream and social media, a Rumor Tracking activity, a capacity-building workshop for local journalists and story grants and mentoring for local journalists to produce media stories on air pollution.
- Manage implementation of all Internews activities at the Clean Air Catalyst project in Nairobi and ensure the quality and timely delivery of all outputs.
- Lead delivery of Clean Air Catalyst’s media training workshop, story grants and mentoring program.
- Train Clean Air Catalyst’s media workshop participants.
- Support hiring of a media researcher and other staff as required by the project.
- Manage all consultants hired to deliver activities under Clean Air Catalyst project in Nairobi.
- Facilitate logistical arrangement for the training workshop and other events, with the support of EJN Asia-Pacific’s Program Officer.
- Oversee the monitoring and evaluation of the project, with support from Internews’ Monitoring, Evaluation, Research & Learning (MERL) team.
- Facilitate and coordinate communication between the Internews Nairobi team, Internews’ Clean Air Catalyst team, media workshop trainer, mentors, editor, and participants.
- Participate in Catalyst’s weekly Nairobi management calls with the consortium.
- Coordinate and maintain regular communication with Clean Air Catalyst consortium partners in Nairobi, including the World Resources Institute.
- Coordinate and maintain regular communication with Internews’ Africa regional office and EJN team.
- Support the preparation of internal monthly updates as well as quarterly and end-of-project reports to funder.
- Support the procurement of services and goods for project activities, whenever required, in consultation with EJN’s Clean Air Catalyst team and according to Internews’ procurement policy.
- Ensure timely and accountable spending of project budget, working with the support of EJN Environment and Health Project Officer, EJN’s Finance Manager and Internews HQ.
- Assist with the selection of awardees for other EJN projects’ story grant and fellowship programs in Africa.
- Keep abreast of developments in the political and environmental landscape that could help or hinder project activities and objectives
- Represent Internews and EJN at meetings with stakeholders.
- Any other assignments as required.
- Understand and demonstrate commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- 5 or more years of project management experience in international development in Kenya
- Proven knowledge of and experience with capacity building training of journalists, preferably in environment
- Fluency in Swahili and English
- Report-writing and budget management experience
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple ongoing assignments
- Proven analytical and problem-solving ability
- Proven ability to coordinate with different teams and stakeholders, as well as with senior management.
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Experience with and knowledge of air pollution in Nairobi
- Previous work experience with US funded programs and projects
Internews Network is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Internews has a field office in Kenya. Ultimately, this role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya. Wherever possible, Internews works to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
This is a part-time, limited term position with an anticipated Level of Effort of 50% and an expected end date of May 15, 2023. There is the possibility of an extension and/or increase in Level of Effort (up to 100%).
To apply, please click here.
Organisation: Internews Network
Location: Nairobi, Kenya