Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly incubated hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped these partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
About the Opportunity
Internews seeks a Project Director for a potential USAID-funded project in North Macedonia focused on increasing media literacy and critical thinking skills among local youth. The Project Director will be responsible for overall management, oversight, implementation and reporting in accordance with the award and approved workplan; supervise program personnel, financial management, and administration. The Project Director will also be responsible for establishing strong partnerships with counterparts nationally and across the region and with the appropriate donor representatives.
**NOTE: Hiring will be dependent upon receipt of funding.**
Key Responsibilities including the following:
- Provide strategic, operational, and representational leadership and oversee organization and implementation of all project activities, as well as project monitoring and evaluation to ensure effective implementation and to measure project impact;
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with organizational policies and applicable local laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local and regional partner organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries;
- Serve as the public face of the project in the region and primary point of contact for regional and in-country donor missions and stakeholders;
- Maintain strategic awareness of independent media, disinformation, and media literacy issues, particularly as they apply to youth, in the country and the larger region;
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all cooperative agreement rules, requirements, and regulations, as well as with Internews’ internal policies and procedures;
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the project, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable, and correctly allocated;
- Maintain regular communications with Internews headquarters staff to communicate progress on programming and address upcoming issues in advance;
- Provide support as necessary for developing new relationships and business initiatives;
- Ensure adherence to USAID’s Journey to Self-Reliance principles to the maximum extent possible;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Qualifications We’re Looking For:
- Experience managing activities focused on media literacy, including digital literacy, as well as working with youth in an educational setting across a variety of ages;
- Experience leading complex multicomponent projects and managing a team of senior subject matter specialists;
- Proven ability to coordinate a broad and diverse set of stakeholders while maintaining effective working relationships with media partners, CSOs, members of academia, government officials, private sector companies, and other development partners;
- Deep understanding of the local and regional media sector;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Proven ability to creatively problem-solve and provide ethical management;
- English fluency required, Macedonian language proficiency preferred;
- Experience with USG-funded media projects is strongly preferred;
- Experience in the Western Balkans and/or in the Europe and Eurasia region is highly desirable
To apply, please visit the Internews website: https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1279