Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly incubated hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped these partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
About the Opportunity
Internews is seeking a Finance Officer for a DRL-funded media support project in Morocco. The Finance Officer provides technical expertise on budget monitoring and will work closely with the Regional Accountant MENA and Business Officer MENA on spending trends and adherence to budget. Responsible for al finance, accounting, and administration for Morocco, the Finance Officer will oversee adherence to proper approval procedures for the Morocco office and follow up on the delivery of funds as required.
This position reports to the Regional Accountant – Middle East and North Africa (MENA).
Note: Hiring is contingent on approval of funding.
Key Responsibilities include the following:
- Monitors program accounting and documentation to ensure compliance with funder requirements and Internews’ policies and procedures;
- Manages all accounting entries in the Financial system;
- Monitors all payments to different stakeholders;
- Monitors Payroll cycle;
- Monitors financial reporting and compliance requirements and alert the Project manager and Business Officer of spending trends that indicate a lack of adherence to budgets;
- Prepares monthly projection of the Rabat office; ensure the timely submission of wire transfer requests (WTRs) for approval;
- Responsible for cash and bank reconciliations as well as tracking business advances to project staff;
- Keeps and reconciles petty cash in secure location for small financial transactions;
- Oversees banking transactions and bank statement collection, wire processing, and adherence to proper approval procedures, as well as the maintenance of banking files including a list of signatories and agents of the Rabat office;
- Ensures compliance with local regulations with respect to financial and other matters (e.g. – registration, taxation, and labor laws);
- Monitors program expenditures against budget, forecasting for planned expenditures throughout the project lifecycle;
- Monitors activities budget for programs in collaboration with the Project Manager;
- Communicates and coordinates with program management and teams, responding to financial questions and providing mentoring and assistance as needed;
- Supports the Regional Accountant – MENA and Business Officer – MENA in ensuring the projects comply with all administrative requirements, donors’ regulations, laws including local laws and requirements for local staff;
- Manages the month end closing cycle;
- Supports the project manager as well as HQ team in overall HR management;
- Reviews sub-grantee financial reports and documentation (vouchers and transactions) and advise on beset accounting practices, ensuring compliance;
- Manages sub-grantee and partners’ financial reporting;
- Provides Finance and Procurement training to sub-grantees as needed;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values;
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications We’re Looking For:
- Ability to work and reside in Rabat, Morocco
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting; Masters preferred
- A minimum of 5 years related work in international project, finance management, financial analysis and contract management experience
- Experience with DRL-funded projects is a plus
- Experience managing and/or training staff and local partners
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Most be highly computer literate; Excel required
- Fluency in Arabic, French and English required.
To apply, please visit the Internews website: https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1245