Organisation: Internews Network and Internews Europe
Location: Amman, Jordan
Internews is seeking a Media Team Lead for a USG-funded project. Under the supervision of the Chief of Party, the Media Team Lead will manage a media and advocacy team and provide key technical input into the implementation of the project based on their expertise in digital media, online engagement, and advocacy, and will contribute to the overall achievement of project deliverables and results.
- Plan, design and implement media and advocacy activities across the project to meet set objectives.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of independent and digital media and civil society issues in Jordan, and a general understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing independent media and civil society across Jordan and the region.
- Work with the team to build the skills and knowledge of content creators, digital media platforms and CSOs.
- Provide technical expertise on the design of relevant trainings, mentoring programs, and/or consultations to local media outlets in line with the project objectives.
- On-going assessment of the Jordanian media landscape, viewership, trends and needs of the target audience to design assistance.
- In coordination with Monitoring & Evaluation and Communications staff, track and monitor the medium- to long-term impact of financial and capacity-building support to local partners.
- In coordination with the CoP, oversee the implementation of technical project activities according to the implementation timeline.
- Support regular progress reporting with technical insights on the media environment in Jordan.
- Nurture relationships with media outlets, research institutions, media literacy initiatives, and media support organizations in Jordan and the region.
- Locate and engage advocates/influencers within the community (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, WhatsApp etc.) to foster dialogue.
- Design and provide technical input on advocacy work led by CSOs and media partners under the project and foster collaboration between media and CSOs.
- Analyze data from social media platforms and regularly share insights and analytics gained from social media monitoring with the team.
- Explore & experiment with alternative media outlet channels and platforms.
- Adapt the project’s media strategy in a timely fashion to ensure relevance.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Engage with partners, grantees, consultants and service providers, and provide guidance and technical input on the implementation of media and advocacy activities.
- Manage relationships with media outlets, media partners and relevant platforms and information providers as well as with media and advocacy grantees.
- Build strategic relationships with local, regional and international media outlets.
- Supervise the media and advocacy team based in the Internews office in Amman, Jordan in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Any other related duties assigned by the supervisor to ensure program success.
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- A Master’s degree (or higher) and 7 years relevant work experience, or relevant work experience of 10 years in lieu of an advanced degree.
- Proven experience managing donor-funded media projects in Jordan or similar context.
- Experience in designing, implementing or guiding advocacy and digital advocacy work.
- Ability to analyze, interpret and report on media trends.
- Strong critical thinking and writing skills; excellent communication skills.
- Thorough understanding of the technical, political and social issues specific to Jordan.
- Have a high comfort level with social media platforms such as: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, etc. and digital analytical tools.
- Strong network in traditional and alternative media, digital media and CSOs in Jordan.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with many types of stakeholders, including USG, officials from various levels of government, media, civil society, and others.
- Ability to translate strategic objectives into practical and achievable plans.
- Ability to work well with senior management, team colleagues and the public.
- Demonstrated direct experience working in Jordan.
- Excellent communication, leadership and team working skills, with a strong sense of initiative.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple on-going assignments.
- Display a high level of attention to detail while being able to work well under pressure.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic is required.
- Team-building skills and the ability to manage a diverse staff.
- Ability and permission to work and reside in Jordan.
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Experience with and knowledge of innovative media business viability strategies and approaches.
- Experience working with a geographically distributed team.
- Demonstrated knowledge of USG policies.
Internews Network is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law
Ultimately, the Media Team Lead position will be based in Amman, Jordan.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
This is a limited-term position, with an anticipated end date in March 2027.
To apply, please click here.