Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly incubated hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped these partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
The Rooted in Trust program aims to disrupt and mitigate the flow of misleading, inaccurate or malign information for vulnerable populations affected by humanitarian crises during COVID-19. Internews’ methodologies are part of the wider humanitarian Community Engage and Accountability efforts and contribute to Risk Communication & Community Engagement (RCCE) efforts from health and humanitarian partners, by ensuring that community perspectives are captured to inform RCCE strategies and that concerns, rumors and questions are addressed with reliable information that comes from, and is created by, local media or other reliable information providers on a variety of both traditional and social media platforms.
The Humanitarian Research Coordinator will manage the implementation of an Information Ecosystem Assessment in Lebanon. The research will focus on how refugee populations in Lebanon communicate to access information about COVID-19 and related information and how their use of online media intersects with their use of traditional media and other sources. Research activities will include desk research, social media monitoring, Key Informant Interviews, Focus Group Discussions, surveys, capacity assessment interviews and field observations. The Report will help to inform public health and humanitarian response agencies to better communicate key messages to the at-risk population.
SCOPE OF WORK
- Work with the Global research lead to design the research activities;
- Adapt research tools to the local context;
- Coordinate with partner organizations to provide training and ensure quality data collection practices;
- Clean, collate, and analyze data collected by partner organizations;
- Conduct key informant interviews with community leaders, influencers, public health and humanitarian agency officials, media representatives and others;
- Identify information flows, uses, popular platforms, trusted actors, and how information on the virus is produced, distributed and accessed;
- Contribute to the writing of the final report;
- Generate graphs or other engaging content to display data;
- Collaborate with key informants to identify further areas of research;
- Deliver regular reporting to the project team;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisors.
- Minimum of four years of relevant working experience in qualitative research, social science, data analysis, anthropology or similar
- Experience designing and implementing research with refugee populations in Lebanon
- Experience with social media monitoring required; additional experience in humanitarian communications, media monitoring, or related fields desired
- Experience in working in a humanitarian context and/or working in challenging environments and having a strong understanding of how to work with local authorities, international agencies like UN, INGOs, and local organizations and community representatives
- Strong research skills, including qualitative and quantitative methodologies, like Focus Group Discussions, Key Informant Interviews, social media observation and analysis, data visualization, etc.
- Excellent information management skills, experience with Excel, nVivio, or similar software
- Strong interpersonal communication, organizational, teamwork, facilitation and presentation skills
- Strong writing skills and proven ability to produce high quality reports and to work under tight deadlines
- Fluency in Arabic required
- Fluency in English an advantage.
To apply, please visit the Internews website: https://chm.tbe.taleo.net/chm04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1230