The Learning and Communications Manager (LCM) is a researcher, storyteller, and team leader who is passionate about creatively and effectively communicating the impact of Internews in South Sudan.
The LCM is also responsible for devising and implementing strategies to ensure all data, research, and stories are shared for greatest impact with the hardworking local media partners who do the work, with the communities and audiences, with donors, the public, and the media industry. The Learning and Communications Manager (LCM) oversees all research, monitoring, and evaluation activities, as well as manages the communications and digital presence of Internews in South Sudan.
The LCM reports to the Program Director for Partnerships and Learning and works closely with the Design and Innovation Advisor and technical advisers on the project. The LCM will manage two teams: 1) Learning and 2) Communications and will currently have four direct reports including the M&E and Reporting Coordinator, Social Media Coordinator, and two M&E Officers.
This position is currently remote-based with extended periods of travel to Juba and other field locations in South Sudan.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
Strategy and execution
- Develops and executes a learning strategy for Internews in South Sudan that includes quantitative, qualitative, participatory, mixed, and remote research methods to capture the impact of the project on a regular basis to external and internal stakeholders, in collaboration with the Design and Innovation Advisor and M&E and Reporting Coordinator
- Develops and executes a communications strategy for Internews in South Sudan that includes engaging multimedia content creation, copy writing, social media engagement and more in collaboration with expert consultants, Design and Innovation Advisor and Social Media Coordinator
- Oversees the performance and impact measurement for Internews in South Sudan, including collection and monitoring of all data, processing and verification, in close collaboration with the M&E and Reporting Coordinator
- Manages donor reporting for projects funded by USAID, BPRM, UN, etc. in close collaboration with M&E and Reporting Coordinator and the Chief of Party
- Advises on research and evaluation projects in close collaboration with M&E and Reporting Coordinator and the Design and Innovation Advisor
- Builds the capacity across Internews’ program teams in knowledge, skills, approaches and tools related to research, M&E, new innovative approaches, etc.
- Supports the Subgrants team with monitoring and evaluation technical assistance and capacity building for local media partners
- Oversees the communication of program activities and impact across Internews in South Sudan and local media partners
- Develops new and innovative ideas related to communications to raise the visibility of Internews in South Sudan and our local media partners in close collaboration with the Design and Innovation Advisor e.g. interactive websites, interactive maps, infographics, motion graphics, animations, educational videos, music videos, mobile apps
- Oversees and review all internal and external communications products before publication or sharing, including donor reports
- Builds the capacity across Internews’ program teams in knowledge, skills, approaches and tools related to communications, social media, photography, new innovative approaches, etc.
- Supports the Subgrants team with communications and social media technical assistance and capacity building for local media partners
Personnel and project management
- Directly supervises and mentors staff of two teams: 1) Learning: M&E and Reporting Coordinator and two M&E Officers; 2) Social Media Coordinator
- Manages all projects related to learning or communications using Trello
- Responsible for keeping meticulous records, archives, and databases for all activities and ensuring they are updated regularly
- Supports the recruitment of learning and communications related positions, as needed
- MA in social science, evaluation, journalism, visual or mass communication, or related field or equivalent standard of education
- Experience managing diverse teams and multiple projects at once
- Knowledge and interest in mixed methods, participatory, and market research
- Knowledge and interest in storytelling, data visualization, visual communication
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation and/or communications for capacity building programs, media development, and/or digital development programs
- Exceptional and inspired English writing skills, to a publishable standard. Writing samples and portfolio required (please include in the application)
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics in the workplace and experience supervising diverse staff
- Must be self-reliant, resourceful, good problem-solver, good humored, and flexible
- Experience living and working in Africa and/or conflict/post-conflict environments
- Ability to travel within South Sudan. Willingness to spend extended time in the field, with limited facilities, often under harsh conditions
- Fluency in English, knowledge of Arabic a plus
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Note: This position is posted in a High or Extreme Physical Risk location. Conditions in the field may include, but are not limited to the following: compound living quarters, limited mobility outside of designated areas, limited in-country medical care or pharmacy, limited access to fresh fruit and vegetables, limited access to high speed internet, dress code requirements, unaccompanied posting, and required advanced safety and security training. If selected for an interview for this position, ensure you discuss the specifics of living and working in this unique operating environment and consider them at length during the recruitment process.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our Internews Benefits page.
To apply, please visit the Internews website: https://chm.tbe.taleo.net/chm04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1194