The Greater Internet Freedom project at Internews has an immediate opening for a lead researcher to lead a participatory research initiative. The Greater Internet Freedom project is currently conducting an ecosystem research of the Internet freedom community that aims to the highlight opportunities and provide recommendations to sustain and grow the collective community. This research is being undertaken in three phases and Internews is in the process of concluding the first phase. Internews would like to bring on a lead researcher to support with the next two phases of this research initiative.
The lead researcher will spearhead and manage the research initiative along with the Greater Internet Freedom team. They will liaise with the research advisory board, coordinate, and conduct the research along with program associates and regional coordinators of the Greater Internet Freedom project.
As the research moves into phase two, the role of the lead researcher will include:
Reaffirming and streamlining the GIF research methodology and research questions, in collaboration with the GIF team.
Conducting interviews, focus groups discussions, and developing outputs from the research.
Ensuring research deliverables are completed and shared in an accessible and timely manner, guaranteeing high quality.
This position will support a global, Internet freedom initiative funded by USAID. Internews launched this three-year initiative in August 2020 to enhance digital security for civil society and media organizations, to engage citizens in internet governance debates, and to advance human rights online. The effort will place regional and local organizations at the forefront of the fight to preserve an open, interoperable, reliable, and secure Internet. By supporting localized Internet freedom initiatives within a global, community-based Internet freedom strategy, the Greater Internet Freedom Consortium will construct strong local and regional bulwarks against a rising wave of digital authoritarianism.
Scope of work:
- Align research methodologies with research goals;
- Lead the revision of GIF’s current research methodology;
- Develop a code for current interview transcripts, code transcripts, and produce relevant research findings and briefs;
- Develop and refine research questions for the second phase of the research, conduct interviews and focus groups with selected groups;
- Using a variety of tools, produce a creative and interactive outputs, such as practitioner stories, interactive graphics, short blogs, final research report, presentation deck and other non-traditional outputs.
- At least 5-years of research related work experience and at least 1 year experience as a lead researcher;
- Demonstrable experience conducting interviews, focus groups discussions, data analysis, and publications with policy implications and recommendations (non-academic publications preferred);
- Sound understanding and experience undertaking qualitative and quantitative research;
- Knowledge of ethical guidelines and experience working with and conducting research related to vulnerable communities;
- Demonstrated ability to manage time-bound research;
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal in English;
- Experience conducting or being part of a global research project;
- A Master’s degree in social sciences or other related fields.
- Experience with participatory action research;
- Experience working with research advisory boards;
- Familiarity with the global digital rights and digital safety communities;
- Expertise related to understanding digital technologies and policies;
- Familiarity with data analysis tools.
This is a remote-based position. All remote candidates will be considered; however, you must have work authorization in your location that does not require sponsorship from Internews.
Wherever possible, Internews works to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
To apply, please click here.
Organisation: Internews Network and Internews Europe