Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly incubated hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped these partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
Under the supervision of the LAC Project Director, the Program Officer performs high level tasks and directly manages at least one Internews project with fiscal oversight of the program. This role will manage multiple programs and related subgrants to local, regional and international organizations: tracking deliverables, leading reporting, working closely with a program associate, and engaging business management staff as needed. In addition, the Program Officer supports other programs within the LAC Department.
The ideal candidate for this role is someone with excellent communication skills, a proven ability to set priorities and manage their time effectively. Internews is seeking someone who has a proven interest in supporting information system and human rights issues, specifically in the Latin America and the Caribbean landscape.
Internews is a very diverse organization globally. We value the perspectives that result from the inclusivity of different voices, and the foundation of our work is to support free and open communications between people of all backgrounds. We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven people who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We are an EEO employer and strongly encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for any of our open positions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Directly manage at least one of Internews’ projects in the LAC Department;
- Assist the Regional Director, Project Director and Business Officer with project oversight, including financial tracking and progress towards program deliverables;
- Develop and monitor the portfolio’s subgrants and contracts including;
- Direct budget/agreement negotiation with subrecipient
- Following up with subrecipient to get responses
- In collaboration with Business Officer, develop and monitor budget
- Review and approval of programmatic report
- Direct report, payment clarification, negotiation with subrecipient
- Payment request and Wire Transfer Requests
- Prepare programmatic reports, projections and budgets:
- Prepare correspondence and reports from conferences and discussion panels;
- Represent Internews at conferences and events, with funders and with policy experts;
- Create and implement a strategy for improved communications on program activities and accomplishments;
- Carry out research as assigned and in support of ongoing projects and new initiatives;
- Support local partners in the LAC Department with proposal development, fundraising, and organizational development;
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Proven programmatic experience in relevant non-profit
- Relevant university degree OR equivalent professional experience
- Extensive grant proposal writing experience, and proven text-editing proficiency
- Language proficiency a significant asset in English and Spanish
- Experience in developing or supporting programs
- Professional experience working in the LAC region or supporting projects within the region
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing, and listening
- Proven ability to set priorities and manage time effectively
- Proven analytical and problem-solving ability
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an effective team member
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple on-going assignments
- Proficient in MS Office
- Experience with diverse information environments and technologies that support access to information, and experience with privacy, censorship circumvention and anonymity tools (such as Signal, VPNs, and Tor).
- Experience implementing US government-funded programs, or other programs with significant reporting, evaluation, and compliance components.
- Previous work experience with USAID programs and projects
- Experience with legal/regulatory issues and/or policy advocacy a significant asset
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our Internews Benefits page.
To apply, please visit the Internews website: https://chm.tbe.taleo.net/chm04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1202