Internews is seeking a Chief of Party candidate for a USAID-funded media support and civil society initiative with the general goal of further strengthening independent media and civil society in Jordan. The Chief of Party will provide strategic guidance and leadership for Internews’ program; coordinate technical, legal and professional capacity building assistance to partners and beneficiaries; ensure proper oversight of Internews personnel, financial management and administration policies; and coordinate with other media stakeholders in the region to ensure that Internews leverages other resources, avoids duplication and complements other media development initiatives. The Chief of Party will also be responsible for establishing strong partnership and dialogue with the appropriate donor representatives.
Essential duties and Responsibilites include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide leadership, management, representational and operational oversight for Internews’ programming in Jordan;
- Provide strategic, operational and representational assistance to ensure that activities are meeting their goals and targets, recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the project on track;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with international and local partner organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries;
- Track and report project progress and activities monthly against work plans;
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation to ensure effective implementation and to measure the impact of activities;
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of independent media and civil society issues in Jordan (print, broadcast and new media), and a general understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing independent media and civil society across the region;
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all grant and cooperative agreement rules, requirements and regulations as well as with Internews internal policies and procedures;
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the project, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable and correctly allocated;
- Provide management and oversight of daily operations of the program;
- Accept fiduciary responsibility for all funds advanced for the purpose of the project;
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws;
- Serve as Internews’ legal representative in Jordan
- Carry out management responsibilities including interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; addressing complaints and resolving problems;
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Advanced degree in journalism, international development, or related field or equivalent work experience
- Significant professional experience (at least 7-10 years) in either print, broadcast or new media. Strong expertise in the civil society sector is an asset.
- Experience as a manager or trainer with professional capacity-building programs for journalists and media outlets and/or civil society organizations
- Previous senior-level management experience, including significant staff, financial and administrative oversight
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work in Jordan
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills
- Excellent communication, team-leading skills, with a strong sense of initiative
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with government representatives, project beneficiaries and partners, and other project stakeholders
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple on-going assignments
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required
Please, apply here.