Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly incubated hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped these partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Director of Programs is a senior member of staff in Internews’ Myanmar office and is responsible and accountable for the delivery and reporting of relevant projects across the Myanmar project portfolio. This demanding role has direct oversight of two distinct programs: the Program Management Unit (PMU), and the Monitoring and Evaluation team. The Director of Programs will also have general senior leadership and representational responsibilities.
Internews in Myanmar has a diverse portfolio in which programs are managed directly by project leads. Therefore, the central function of this role is to a) provide program quality assurance through oversight of the PMU and b) oversee MEL services for all programs.
The successful candidate will be accustomed to complex matrix management cultures, with various responsibilities to different departments.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Providing oversight across program planning, implementation, and reporting timelines and M&E requirements, reporting directly to the Country Director;
- Working directly with Project Leads to ensure project activity planning, implementation, reporting and M&E activities are rolled out in a timely manner, to a high standard of quality;
- Leading the development and implementation of effective project reporting and MEL systems to ensure timeliness and accuracy;
- Working closely with senior management team to strategize and manage the Myanmar portfolio;
- Leading the development and implementation of robust communication and visibility plans throughout the projects in compliance with donors’ requirements;
- Deputizing Country Director and representing Internews as delegated;
- Supporting the Country Director in managing risk and security during implementation of the projects, including development of contingency plans;
- Supporting the Country Director in producing regular multimedia materials (i.e. blog posts, photos, podcasts….) documenting the life of the project for external audiences, as required;
- Assisting the Country Director in new business development for Myanmar and regional projects;
- Liaising with funders and partner organizations, as delegated;
- Encouraging a positive working environment through employee relations activities and communications;
- Other duties as assigned;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Prior development project experience, including field experience, preferably in media
- Advanced/post-graduate studies in media, development, or a closely related subject
- Senior-level project management experience; experience managing multiple concurrent projects preferred
- Familarity with US and European donor rules and regulations and ethics policies
- Proven reporting and MEL skills, to a high degree of accuracy and timeliness
- Experience with Project Management software, MS Excel and Word
- Proven ability to multitask and prioritize a shifting workload
- Proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment
- Excellent English language communication skills (oral and written).
- Fluent Burmese language skills
- Online meeting facilitation skills
- Due to COVID-19 related travel restrictions, Yangon-based location a plus.
To apply, please visit the Internews website: https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1261