Organisation: Internews Network and Internews Europe
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Internews seeks a Finance Manager for a US government-funded project focused on championing a strong independent media sector in Armenia, Georgia, Hungary, Poland, Romania, and Ukraine that is resistant to powerful interests seeking to manipulate, isolate, or control the press. The Finance Manager will manage financial reports and expenses. They will ensure proper financial procedures are operated and maintained according to Internews’ policies and in compliance with local regulations. The Finance Manager will prepare donor reports and fulfill all duties related to the payroll of Internews staff employed in Hungary including salary payment, calculation, payment of income taxes and social security contributions.
- Prepare monthly financial reports.
- Ensure that expense data is properly submitted, and that all expenses are reasonable and allocable, and conform to principles and guidelines.
- Ensure that proper financial procedures and systems are operated and maintained.
- Ensure local financial regulatory compliance such as reporting to local authorities, etc.
- Coordinate and maintain a cash forecasting system to ensure adequate funds are available to meet program requirements.
- Monitor ongoing levels of expenditure on individual programs as against budget and provide timely advice of likely over and under spends.
- Working with Headquarters business support staff, prepare budgets, amendments and forecasts.
- Prepare donor financial reports in line with donor reporting requirements.
- Fulfil all duties related to the payroll of Internews staff employed in Hungary, including salary payment, calculation, payment of income taxes and social security contributions, and reporting of employment to authorities
- Ensure reconciliation between management information and ledger records.
- Ensure that contractual commitments (e.g. for the rental of vehicles and/or premises) are expressed in forms appropriate for the circumstances of the program.
- Manage bank accounts, local transfers and payments, to suppliers/staff through the bank account.
- Assist with review of financial reports from subgrantees as needed.
- Ensure all national and international staff have valid contracts and local work and transports permits.
- Ensure compliance with local regulations in respect of financial and other matters (e.g. Registration, FX, taxation and labor laws).
- Enforce Internews Personnel Manual, Code of conduct, and other official Internews guidelines.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Follow Internews guidelines on data security
- With Project Directors’ approval, provide technical coordination and advice to other departments in line.
- Coordinate and manage supply and logistics support for operations, including requisitioning, receiving, storing and issuing goods.
- Provide management, guidance and maintenance of logistics fixed assets, including the arrangement of insurance wherever required.
- Other duties as assigned by Internews management.
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Five or more years progressively responsible finance/accounting experience.
- University degree in finance, accounting, or a closely related field or equivalent professional experience.
- Intermediate expertise in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel.
- Professional proficiency in Hungarian and English.
- Knowledge of tax and accounting legislation in Hungary.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to work with sensitive data and confidential information.
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an effective team member.
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple ongoing assignments, set priorities, and manage time effectively; and
Excellent organizational skills.
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Two or more years previous management experience;
- Experience with nonprofit accounting, especially for US Government (USG)-funded programming;
- Experience working with specific accounting software; and
- Familiarity with US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
Internews Network is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Internews plans to open a field office in Hungary. Ultimately, this role will be based in Budapest, Hungary. However, you must have work authorization in this location that does not require sponsorship from Internews.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
This is a limited-duration position, with an expected end date of 2024.
To apply, please click here.