The EJN Editorial Associate will assist the EJN Editor and Content officer at Internews’ Earth Journalism Network (EJN), a global community of over 15,000 journalists dedicated to improving coverage of climate and environmental issues.
The Editorial Associate will review and edit stories, and support the story grant and judging processes across EJN projects. They will assist with mentoring and/or securing mentors for journalists, and with story reposting and distribution. They will assist journalists taking EJN’s online courses. The Editorial Associate should have experience editing content in English. The position will report to the EJN Editor.
- Under the supervision of the EJN Editor, help coordinate the production and distribution of EJN content as well as ensure its quality;
- Assist with distribution of stories, primarily re-publishing stories on the EJN website;
- Assist across EJN projects to draft grant and training opportunities and participate in the judging process;
- Assist with training and capacity-building activities, particularly mentoring story grantees and assisting learners enrolled in EJN’s online courses and producing webinars;
- Write project updates for EJN’s monthly newsletter and other resources such as tipsheets;
- Support monitoring and evaluation of project activities, including the production of impact stories;
- Support with the production of narrative reports and other project deliverables, as needed;
- Assist EJN editor and web development team with improvements of EJN website and track analytics;
- Represent Internews at workshops, conferences and events;
- In all duties, demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Two or more years related journalism experience in an editorial position, preferably a newsroom
- Strong English-language writing and copy-editing skills
- Strong attention to detail, problem-solving and analytical skills required
- Experience covering and working on environmental and/or climate change issues
- Familiarity with content management systems and workflows and web analytics
- Experience with data and video journalism is a plus
- Ability to work well with others, meet deadlines, and respond to changes in priorities
- Willingness to work with international colleagues in distant (and multiple) time zones, including participation in meetings before and after normal working hours
- Ability and willingness to travel to conferences and international locations
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Experience with online learning and course development is a plus
- Experience managing media and/or development projects is a plus
Internews Network is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer.Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
This is a remote-based position. Preference will be given to candidates based in the United States or the United Kingdom, however, all remote candidates will be considered. You must have work authorization in your current location that does not require sponsorship from Internews. Additionally, there are locations in which Internews is not able to support fully remote work.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
This is a fully benefited, limited term position with an anticipated level of effort of at least 50% and a projected term of one year. There is a possibility of an extension and/or increase in the level of effort (up to 100%) contingent upon receipt of funding.
To apply, please click here.
Organisation: Internews Network