Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly incubated hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped these partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Come join a team of dynamic colleagues and partners who are passionate about promoting digital rights and Internet freedom around the globe. Internews’ Global Technology Programs is currently seeking a full-time Digital Security Training Specialist to support our efforts to promote journalists’ security in Central Europe. This is a unique, multi-faceted role that offers the opportunity to advise the development and implementation of digital safety awareness-raising engagements for journalists.
You’re an ideal candidate for this position if you have extensive experience conducting digital security trainings, have previously worked with at-risk journalists, and are interested in providing mentorship. This position reports to the Technical Program Officer of the Global Technology Program (GTP). You can learn more about the Global Technology Program at Internews here: https://globaltech.internews.org/
This position will be fully remote. The ideal candidate will be based in one of the following countries: Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Slovenia, or Slovakia. Limited regional/international travel will be required for this position (once it is safe to do so). We will not be able to sponsor work authorization in any of the above-mentioned countries.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
Training and Mentorship:
- Assist with the identification and selection of regional digital security trainers and journalists to participate in project activities.
- Advise the development and implementation of digital safety awareness-raising engagements for journalists in the region.
- Serve as a mentor to selected trainers and journalists, ensuring knowledge and implementation of tailored security practices.
- Respond to incidents and mentor trainers and journalists as they provide rapid response to communities and organizations in the region.
Facilitation and Skill-Building:
- Co-organize and co-facilitate two skill-building workshops for trainers and journalists in Central Europe.
- Provide support and technical expertise during other in-person events, including curriculum development sprints.
- Facilitate regional convenings hosted alongside international events, such as the Internet Freedom Festival or RightsCon.
nt & Localization:
- Serve as an expert on the Central European context, specifically with regards to journalists’ security.
- Collaborate with the project team and partners to build advanced training approaches (including scenario-based trainings).
- Provide technical expertise and guidance during the development of new digital security resources and localization of existing resources (including guides, tools, etc.).
- Strategically shape new training resources developed under the project to ensure they are scalable and relevant at the global level.
- Contribute to the writing and compiling of program reporting, including quarterly reports and other project-related reports.
- Help track project metrics that serve to measure the success of the Global Technology Program.
- Draft project-specific content for internal and external communications, including blog posts and programmatic highlights.
Values & Flexibility:
- Completing other duties as assigned;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Expertise as a digital security trainer, including experience developing training curriculum
- Thematic expertise in digital safety and journalist safety
- Experience with threat modelling, and selecting/installing digital security-related software and equipment for individuals or organizations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong understanding of secure communication tools
- Professional-level fluency in English
- Experience working in Central Europe (specifically Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, and Slovenia)
- Language skills in a language prevalent in Central Europe
- Optimism, a sense of humor, and excitement at supporting and elevating voices of people across the globe.
**Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are still encouraged to apply.**
- 5+ years’ experience as a digital security trainer, including experience developing training curriculum
- Non-profit experience and/or familiarity with US government rules and regulations
- Experience with facilitating large-scale, regional events
- Experience using project management tools (e.g. – Trello, Airtable, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit the following materials along with your application:
- Cover letter – less than one page, explaining why you’d be a great fit for this position and what drew you to it.
Candidates will advance to phone screens based on the strength of written materials. We expect 3-5 finalists to advance to panel interviews. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; as such, it benefits you to apply as soon as possible if the position is of interest.
To apply, please visit the Internews website: https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1283