Civilsphere was born in the Stratosphere laboratory of the Czech Technical University in Prague in 2018. Their mission is to provide journalists, activists, and human rights defendants services and tools to early identify digital threats jeopardizing their life and work. Internews is working with the Civilsphere team to support usability and accessibility enhancements to several of their tools, including Emergency VPN and AI-VPN. The Community Manager will help prioritize user requests, assist with marketing within target communities, and conduct User Experience testing with both individual users and organizational partners.
Scope of Work:
Issue Tags & Prioritization:
- Help triage Issues and Pull Requests for all tool repositories, with emphasis on community contributions;
- Recommend process improvements in areas such as issues triage and prioritization;
- Develop methods for automating reminders about aged issues or PRs that require follow-up;
- Review, organize, and curate old issues to make them accessible for external contributors to resolve;
- Interacting with users of varying technical levels to respond to issues.
- Lead publicity and awareness raising within the community when new features are released;
- Build knowledge of the tool among developers, trainers, and users;
- Support tool maintenance in ensuring key messaging gets out to the audience of users.
- Work with organizations and individuals who might be at risk and explain how to use the tool
- Community Manager will also be leading User Experience testing with both individual users and organizational partners. This includes:
- Identifying feature use, missing features, and required feature modifications
- Identifying design flaws and needs
- Developing user personas to drive development decisions and documentation
- Identifying gaps in user and contributor documentation
- Assessing ease of installation and validation on every commit
- Assessing ease of importance
- Assessing ease of first use
- Extensive experience in community management, and a deep understanding of privacy and security tools
- Familiarity with digital safety situation in Myanmar
- Eager to work remotely
- Self-driven, taking initiative, ability to work independently
- Proficiency in spoken and written Burmese and English
This is a remote-based, short-term consultancy (October-December 2022).
All remote candidates will be considered. However, you must have work authorization in your location that does not require sponsorship from Internews. Additionally, there are locations in which Internews is not able to support fully remote work.
This position will be hired on a rolling basis and will remain open until hire.
To apply, please click here.
Organisation: Internews Network