Internews seeks a Chief of Party for a media support project in Eastern Europe focused on increasing the supply of quality, socially relevant content and increasing citizens’ demand for accurate, objective information. The Chief of Party will provide strategic guidance and leadership; oversee project activities that help media outlets develop high-quality, engaging content and support the efforts of local CSOs and other beneficiaries to increase the ability of journalists and citizens to evaluate news and information. The Chief of Party will also serve as a Country Director, overseeing financial management and administration of Internews’ projects focusing on that country; and coordinating with relevant donors and other media stakeholders in the region to ensure that Internews leverages existing resources, avoids duplication, and complements other media development initiatives; and supervising staff as required.
- Provide strategic, operational and representational leadership.
- Oversee organization and implementation of all project activities, as well as project monitoring and evaluation to ensure effective implementation and measure project impact.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with organizational policies and applicable local laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints, and resolving problems.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local and regional partner organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries.
- Write and edit project reports, communications materials, and other project documentation in collaboration with Internews staff and according to award stipulations.
- Serve as public face of the project in the region and primary point of contact for relevant donor missions and stakeholders.
- Maintain strategic awareness of independent media issues in the region and a thorough understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing independent media in engaging new audiences, , and ensuring sustainability.
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all funder rules, requirements and regulations as well as with Internews’ internal policies and procedures.
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the project, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable, and correctly allocated.
- Maintain regular communications with relevant Internews staff to communicate progress on programming and address upcoming issues in advance.
- Provide support as necessary for developing new relationships and business initiatives.
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Relevant university degree or equivalent lived/professional experience.
- Previous experience managing complex media development or related programs, with a strong reputation for developing collaborative working relationships with local partners, international implementers, and donors.
- Deep understanding of the regional media sector.
- A successful track record in supervising, managing, and implementing technical assistance for donor-funded projects, including proven ability to develop and monitor work plans, multi-year budgets, and monitoring and evaluation plans.
- Experience implementing complex, multifaceted development initiatives with demonstrated skill in organizing resources, establishing priorities, and overseeing diverse teams of employees.
- Demonstrated mentoring abilities and experience supporting senior managerial staff.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven ability to problem-solve creatively and provide ethical management.
- English fluency (spoken and written) required.
- Russian proficiency highly preferred.
Internews Network is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Ultimately, this role will be based in Vilnius, Lithuania. the selected candidate may have the opportunity to work fully in-office, or partially remote (in-office 2-3 days per week, and remote 2-3 days per week). This position is eligible for relocation assistance.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
This is a limited-term position with an anticipated end date of September 30, 2026. This position may be extended, contingent upon funding.
To apply, please click here.
Organisation: Internews Network and Internews Europe
Location: Vilnius, Lithuania