Internews seeks a Chief of Party for an anticipated program in the Central African Republic.
The Chief of Party will provide strategic guidance and leadership for Internews’ program in the Central African Republic; coordinate technical, legal and professional capacity-building assistance to partners and beneficiaries; ensure proper oversight of Internews personnel, financial management and administration; and coordinate with other media stakeholders to ensure that Internews leverages other resources, avoids duplication, and complements other media development initiatives. The Chief of Party will be responsible for staff safety and security. They will also be responsible for establishing strong partnerships and dialogue with the appropriate donor representatives and government of the Central African Republic.
- Provide leadership, management, representational and operational oversight for Internews’ programs in-country.
- Provide general oversight of the programs, including program management, personnel management, strategic vision, safety and security of personnel and partners, budget management, fiscal integrity, quality and timing of deliverables, coordination with partners, and recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the project on track.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Supervise the implementation of sub-grants and act as the primary contact person for Internews to international and local sub-grantees.
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation in the country to ensure effective implementation and to measure the impact of activities.
- Track and report project progress and activities against work plans on a monthly and quarterly basis.
- Carry out human resource management responsibilities including interviewing, hiring, and training staff and consultants; planning, assigning, directing, and supervising work; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local partner organizations including media houses and civil society organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries.
- Ensure programs are in compliance with all grant and cooperative agreement rules, requirements, and regulations as well as with Internews’ internal policies and procedures.
- Serve as the programs’ primary budget authority, with responsibility for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable, and correctly allocated.
- Accept fiduciary responsibility or all funds advanced for the purpose of the project.
- Maintain regular contact with Internews headquarters staff to communicate progress on programming and address upcoming issues in advance.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of media and freedom of information issues in the country.
- Lead fundraising and development activities to advance and enrich programming in the country.
- In all duties, demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Advanced degree (Master’s or higher) in media and communications, international development, rule of law, social sciences, management, or a related field.
- Seven years of progressively responsible media development experience, including working with media organizations and senior program management experience OR seven years senior level management experience in the design, implementation, and management of programs of similar size, complexity, and setting.
- Excellent written and spoken French and English.
- Experience with US Government-funded programs.
- Relevant experience in Africa is preferred.
- Demonstrated mentoring abilities and experience supervising and supporting senior managerial staff.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience in building and maintaining productive working relationships with a wide network of institutional partners and stakeholders, including host governments.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience in fundraising and development of innovative program concepts.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment both virtually and in person, including with colleagues in different time zones.
Note: This position is posted in a High or Extreme Physical Risk Location. Conditions at post may include but are not limited to, the following: compound living quarters, limited mobility outside of designated areas, limited in-country medical care or pharmacy, limited access to fresh fruits and vegetables, limited access to high-speed Internet, dress code requirements, unaccompanied posting, and required advanced safety and security training. If selected for an interview for this position, ensure you discuss the specifics of living and working in this unique operating environment and consider them at length during the recruitment process.
Internews Network is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
This role will be based in Bangui, Central African Republic.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon. This is a limited-duration position, with an expected term of five years.
Note: Hiring is contingent upon receipt of funding.
To apply, please click here.
Organisation: Internews Network and Internews Europe
Location: Bangui, Central African Republic