Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly incubated hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped these partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
About the Opportunity
The Business Associate (BA) serves as a key member of the Europe and Eurasia Department. The BA is responsible for providing business support to management and program staff during pre-award, implementation, and closeout. The BA will work closely with program staff to assist in developing, managing, and reconciling budgets and project expenditures in support of program objectives. The BA will be expected to perform complicated tasks requiring prior experience, education, or training. The BA will also assist the Business Manager to implement and maintain effective financial management controls and ensure compliance with funder requirements and Internews’ policies and procedures.
Right now, Internews’ headquarters offices are closed and staff are working remotely until at least 1 July 2021. Until that time, this position will also function remotely. This position will ultimately be based in our Washington, DC office.
Our Commitment to Fostering a Culture of Belonging
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive changes in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Key Responsibilities include the following:
- Tracks monthly expenditures against project and portfolio budgets;
- Assists management and program staff to forecast planned expenditures;
- Reviews invoices, payment requests, advance requests, expense reimbursements and proper coding, prior to approval;
- Reviews sub-grantee financial reports and any supporting documentation;
- Reviews and reconciles monthly credit card statements;
- Assists in preparing proposal budgets, budget narratives, and budget modifications;
- Assists in investigating financial discrepancies and deficiencies;
- Drafts contracts for external consultants and services as needed;
- Provides ad hoc financial and administrative support to management staff, as requested;
- Provides financial and contractual support to local finance staff;
- Other duties as assigned;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Qualifications We’re Looking For:
- University degree
- Professional proficiency in spoken and written Russian;
- Two years of experience working with an international NGO (preferred);
- Familiarity with USG rules and regulations, particularly USAID and US State Department;
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Intermediate expertise in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel;
- Proven ability to set priorities and manage time effectively;
- Proven analytical and problem-solving ability;
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an effective team member;
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple ongoing assignments;
- US work authorization required.
To apply, please visit the Internews website: https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1333