Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly incubated hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped these partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
Under the supervision of the LAC Project Manager, the Program Officer performs high-level tasks and will directly manage the day-to-day implementation of an Internews project in the Eastern Caribbean. This role will manage one multi-country program and related subgrants to local, regional and international organizations, tracking deliverables, leading reporting, working closely with the Caribbean program team, and engaging business management staff as needed.
Note: Internews is seeking candidates who have permanent work authorization in either Barbados or Dominica.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Directly manage at least one of Internews’ projects in the LAC department, specifically in Barbados and Dominica;
- Responsible for programmatic development and project support;
- Assist the Regional Director, Project Manager and Business Operations Officer with project oversight, including financial tracking and progress towards program deliverables;
- Develop and monitor the portfolio’s subgrants and contracts including:
- Direct budget/agreement negotiation with the subrecipient;
- In collaboration with the Business Officer, develop and monitor budget;
- Review and approval of programmatic report;
- Direct report, payment clarification, negotiation with subrecipient.
- Prepare programmatic reports, projections and budgets, including any documentation required by the funder;
- Prepare correspondence and reports from conferences and discussion panels;
- Maintain close communication with local, regional and international actors operating in Barbados and Dominica in the space of media, technology, humanitarian and health support to communities;
- Represent Internews at conferences and events, with funders and with policy experts;
- Create and implement a strategy for improved communications on program activities and accomplishments;
- Carry out research as assigned and in support of ongoing projects and new initiatives;
- Support local partners in the LAC Department with proposal development, fundraising, and organizational development;
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Proven programmatic experience in relevant non-profit
- Relevant university degree OR equivalent professional experience
- Extensive grant proposal writing experience, and proven text-editing proficiency;
- Professional experience working in the Caribbean, specifically in Barbados and/or Dominica;
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate;
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing and listening;
- Proven ability to set priorities and manage time effectively;
- Proven analytical and problem-solving ability;
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an effective team member;
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple ongoing assignments;
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Experience with diverse information environments and technologies that support access to information, and experience with privacy, censorship circumvention and anonymity tools (such as Signal, VPNs, and Tor);
- Experience implementing internationally funded programs with significant reporting, evaluation, and compliance components;
- Previous work experience with humanitarian or health programs and projects.
To apply, please visit the Internews website: https://chm.tbe.taleo.net/chm04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1224