The IPI global network is looking for an Innovation Projects Manager, a talented, diverse-skilled ideas person to help expand support to media innovation and transition globally. This exciting opportunity combines network building, training design, innovation facilitation, media advisory, project management, and communications functions. This is a brand-new position at IPI that comes as they prepare to launch incubator and accelerator programs and other forms of support for new media and media in transition as those innovate, grow, and become sustainable. It’s a chance to get on board as IPI grows an important area of their work promoting a healthy, independent media ecosystem.
Innovation Projects Manager will:
- Be a confident digital native, passionate about the opportunities in front of the world’s media and excited by IPI’s mission to support independent journalism and fight for press freedom.
- Be inspired by IPI’s potential to drive real-world change, and energized by their mission and the positive social impacts that can flow from their success.
- Have at least 3 years of experience in leading or managing a news organization, or in innovation facilitation, audience-centred design, product development, audience research and engagement.
- Have experience founding a new media venture or transitioning legacy media and be able to understand the pressures and opportunities for media innovators.
- Understand the media environment and recognize the risks and opportunities for new and transitioning media.
- Be analytical, with skills in logical reasoning, critical thinking, communication, research, and data analysis.
- Be process-driven, capable of building and implementing operational structures in a fast-changing space.
- Be cool, calm, collected, able to manage multiple tasks, working with partners in different locations around the world, facing big challenges, and operating in different time zones
- Have a flair for writing, editing, and polishing copy and be able to write in different and engaging styles for different messages and channels. Strong English skills are a must. Additional language skills are a plus.
- Be a strategic thinker with fresh ideas about how to engage different audiences in their work in support of sustainable journalism.
- Be comfortable working in a diverse and international environment, as well as familiarity with the work and culture of non-governmental organizations.
- Help launch and manage key aspects of IPI’s new incubator and accelerator programs and other immersive training programs to support new media and media in transition as they innovate, grow, and become sustainable.
- Monitor emerging and future opportunities and promote IPI’s innovation work within the media change space.
- Identify and engage newsroom and innovation leaders with our program.
- Work with both transitioning and emerging media organizations to identify needs and opportunities.
- Manage an application and selection process together with a jury to ensure a strong cohort of media for each program.
- Provide strategic advice within your expertise and connections to media and experts.
- Contribute to an events and media program to share and amplify the innovation work
- Manage project implementation, reporting, budget, and accounting
- Other work to expand and support IPI’s innovation program and support to media.
The Innovation Projects Manager will work closely with IPI staff and members and will report to the IPI Head of Network Strategy and Innovation. The IPI global network has a diverse global membership active in more than 100 countries. We want our staff to reflect this diversity. IPI has a preference for this position to be based at the IPI headquarters in Vienna, Austria. IPI staff members who work in Vienna are also able to benefit from IPI’s exemption from income tax for Austria-based staff.
Applicants should provide a cover letter explaining why they are interested in this position and want to work with IPI, how they think they could make a difference in this role (400 words max), and their top three priorities for media innovation; and current CV, including at least two professional references. Please send your application by email to email@example.com. Please include “Innovation Projects Manager” in the email subject line.
For more information, please click here.
Organisation: The International Press Institute (IPI)