Organisation: The International Press Institute (IPI)
Location: Vienna, Austria
The International Press Institute (IPI) is looking for a talented, detail-oriented and strategically minded project manager to support the delivery of media innovation and sustainability activities around the world. This exciting opportunity combines network building, training design, innovation facilitation, media advisory, project management, and communications functions.
The Innovation Projects Manager is a member of the media innovation and sustainability team reporting to the Head of Innovation and Media Business. They will coordinate implementation IPI innovation support activities in the context of the EU-funded Media Innovation Europe programme and support global innovation and sustainability activities.
The right candidate will
- Be confident, digital savvy and passionate about the opportunities in front of the world’s media and excited by IPI’s mission to support independent journalism and fight for press freedom.
- Have at least 3 years of experience in management or leadership of a news organization, or in innovation facilitation, audience-centered design, product development, audience research and engagement.
- Understand the media environment and recognize the risks and opportunities for new and transitioning media.
- Be process driven, capable of building and implementing operational structures in a fast changing space, including experience with donor reporting, budget management, event management and task management tools.
- Understand and have experience with technical aspects of digital communications such as content management systems, graphic design, user experience.
- Be able to manage multiple tasks, working with partners in different locations around the world, facing big challenges, and operating in different time zones.
- Have a flair for writing, editing, and polishing copy and be able to write in different and engaging styles for different messages and channels. Strong English skills are a must. Additional language skills are a plus.
- Be a strategic thinker with fresh ideas about how to engage different audiences in our work in support of sustainable journalism.
- Work on the delivery of the next phase of and manage key aspects of IPI’s incubator and accelerator programs and other immersive training programs to support new media and media in transition as they innovate, grow, and become sustainable.
- Manage project implementation and task management, maintain updated project folders, donor reporting, budget and expense tracking, and support fundraising strategy and outreach to grow the programme.
- Coordinate Media Innovation Europe consortium, including monthly meetings, monitoring cohort-wide deliverables, maintain project documentation for midterm and final narrative and financial reports
- Maintain and collaborate to develop curriculum for various project cohorts, including oversight and regular updates to e-learning platform, outreach and relationship management with experts.
- Manage an application and selection process together with a jury to ensure a strong cohort of media for each program.
- Coordinate annual media innovation event and contribute to an events and media program to share and amplify the innovation work.
- Manage reporting requirements for donor-funded projects and ensure timely preparation of relevant documentation including audits.
- Monitor emerging and future opportunities and promote IPI’s innovation work within the media change space.
- Work with both transitioning and emerging media organizations to identify needs and opportunities.
- Moderate and grow IPI’s media innovation community of practice through its local news and innovation network.
- Communications: support communications consultant by coordinating content schedule (newsletters, social media, multimedia content and blog posts), oversee promotion of activities and information sessions, coordinate delivery of case studies and newsroom visits, and copy edit all public facing content.
Location and Term
The location for this position is Vienna, Austria, which is regularly ranked as the most liveable city in the world. Hybrid work arrangements are possible. All nationalities are eligible to apply. A successful candidate who is not a citizen of the European Union/European Economic Area will be eligible for a work permit in Austria.
The start date for this position is 1 December 2023, or as soon as possible thereafter
Learn more and apply here.