The Executive Committee of the International Federation of Journalists is seeking to appoint an IFJ Deputy General Secretary (DGS), based in Brussels. He/she shall be responsible to the IFJ General Secretary as the Chief Executive Officer of the Federation.
The IFJ DGS must have the following skills:
- Experience and considerable knowledge of trade unionism and trade unions, with proven
ability to lead and inspire.
- Experience and knowledge of journalism and broad issues connected with media and
- Experience of leading campaigns and negotiating with institutions.
- Knowledge and experience of effectively managing the human resources of an organisation
with the ability to motivate teams and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Ability to develop and implement financial plans, execute budgeting and financial
transactions, manage resources, and to oversee the procurement of funding/revenue sources.
- Professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to
communicate and interact at all levels and to work effectively with affiliates.
- Knowledge of communication and public relation techniques and ability to develop and
deliver reports and presentations.
- Languages: Native or fluent English; good knowledge of French and Spanish will be an added
Duties of the IFJ DGS:
The DGS will work in coordination and under the supervision of the IFJ General Secretary and
deputize for him in his absence, and in particular be responsible to the GS for:
- Oversight of all administrative affairs as directed by the GS, in line with the Internal Rules
and decisions of the Administrative and Executive Committees. This includes:
- staff matters
- the work of the Brussels secretariat
- the preparation of meetings of statutory bodies and conferences
- supervising and administering IFJ finances, including the accounts and fees;
- Managing on a day-to-day basis finances in the absence of the IFJ General Secretary, inaccordance with the existing budget and in cooperation with the Honorary Treasurer; organising fundraising and identifying fund-raising opportunities for projects;
- Working with the GS to improve the communications work of the IFJ;
- Relations with members unions, regional offices and statutory bodies of the IFJ as directed by the GS and in the absence of the GS;
- Such other tasks as the GS may from time to time decide.
Terms and conditions:
The Deputy General Secretary will be employed on an open contract. He/she will receive a basic monthly salary of €4500, paid within the terms of the Belgian salary system. Additional fringe benefits will be paid in line with the terms of the Staff Agreement. Other terms and conditions in the IFJ staff agreement will apply to the DGS, unless explicitly covered and excluded by his/her contract.
Timetable for the appointment:
- Closing date for the receipt of applications: 19 December 2022
- Short-listing by the recruitment panel: 21 December 2022
- Interview by the recruitment panel 9-16 January 2023
The appointment will be endorsed by the IFJ Administrative Committee and confirmed by its
To be considered candidates must:
- be a member of a trade union and have trade union experience as a lay or full-time official;
- have worked as a journalist;
- willingness to work at IFJ headquarters in Brussels in line with hybrid working arrangements negotiated with the General Secretary.
These three criteria must be highlighted when applying.
Closing date for application: 19 December 2022, 12 midnight CET.
To apply, please click here.
Organisation: International Federation of Journalists (IFJ)
Location: Brussels, Belgium