Organisation: Thomson Reuters Foundation
Location: London, United Kingdom
About the job
Head of Programmes, Thomson Reuters Foundation
TRF’s programme portfolio – made up of dynamic and impactful projects – has grown in size and complexity in recent years. Our Director of Programmes has overseen and led the growth and transformation of the Programmes Team and is now looking for an experienced programme leader, adept in inclusive team management and knowledgeable on all things project cycle management and programme quality-related to come join our fantastic team. If you have over seven years of experience managing large-scale, high-value, multi-country programmes, leading high-performing and happy teams, can effectively and proactively problem solve, and are looking for your next challenge, then the Head of Programmes role could be for you!
You will work in close collaboration with the Director of Programmes and Senior Managers to oversee, guide and support the implementation of a multi-million-pound global programme portfolio focusing on some of the most urgent and important issues facing humanity. No two days will be the same. You might be facilitating a risk analysis workshop with a project team on one day, overseeing the conceptualisation of a new multi-year project with our Thought Leadership and Global Development colleagues on another, or working with teams across the foundation on further embedding our Project Cycle Management approach and tools. What you’ll be focused on throughout will be great communications and collaborative ways of working, programme quality and impact, and ensuring the Programmes Team is supported to deliver on its responsibilities and outcomes.
About The Role
As Head of Programmes at the Thomson Reuters Foundation, you will:
- Have responsibility for ensuring the effective delivery and quality of the programme and project management activities across the Foundation. Make sure projects are implemented to the agreed time and budget, meeting or exceeding beneficiaries’, donors’, and partners’ expectations.
- Work with the Director of Programmes to ensure the new TRF project cycle management methodology, guidelines and standards are socialised and embedded across the Foundation; and applied, strengthened and monitored by Programmes Team colleagues and members of a Foundation-wide Project Cycle Management Working Group.
- Make sure projects and programmes systematically deliver the best possible impact for target stakeholders, partners and communities in a way that also strengthens the Foundation’s reputation and reach.
- Initiate and co-develop creative and innovative programme and project design, risk management and MEAL processes, working closely with the Director of Programmes, MEAL Advisor, Senior Managers and Regional
- Programme Managers, and other teams across the Foundation.
- Ensure project and programme progress is monitored and reported effectively, and risks are identified, mitigated and escalated in a timely way, as required.
- Work closely with Finance and Business Development colleagues to ensure adequate and efficient resourcing across all projects and activities. Support financial compliance across the programme portfolio and provide support to financial audits and due diligence reviews, as necessary.
- Build excellent relationships with donors and partners, in coordination with other teams, notably the Global Development Team.
- Promote a culture of collaboration, support, learning, innovation and accountability within the Programmes Team.
- Manage a number of experienced senior colleagues to ensure they have the right supports to do their jobs effectively and provide them with constructive guidance as needed
To be our Head of Programmes, you will likely have:
- Extensive senior experience in project management gained through managing large and complex international development projects and programmes.
- Proven track record in managing multiple concurrent projects and programmes with multi-million budgets.
- Experience in managing diverse teams with a proven track record of successful capacity development.
- Experience in remote management of people and projects.
- Experience in managing consultants and other types of suppliers.
- Extensive experience in managing and developing local partnerships in multiple countries and/or regions.
- Experience working with institutional and corporate donors. Proven ability to manage and drive high-quality client-facing relationships and communicate effectively in verbal and written form.
- Excellent communication, presentation and facilitation skills. Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to persuade and showcase the Foundation’s programming.
- Strong leadership and people management skills. The ability to effectively resolve conflicting opinions and interests.
What’s In It For You
At the Thomson Reuters Foundation, our people are our greatest assets. Here are some of the benefits we offer for your personal and professional growth:
- Global Perspective and Impact: Interested in working for a dynamic global organization with a focus on social impact? With hubs all over the world from Bangkok to Madrid to Rio de Janeiro, join a truly international team with a shared goal of helping to build societies around the world that are free, fair and informed.
- A Unique Approach: Our expertise in media and the law is world-class; we combine the power of both to address the critical issues faced by humanity.
- Our Relevance: With a focus on advancing media freedom, fostering more inclusive economies and promoting human rights, our work has never been more needed than right now.
- Benefits: We offer competitive salary packages and market-leading benefits.
- Learning & Development: We are dedicated to the continual professional development of our employees and offer access to both in-house and external training opportunities.