We have an exciting opportunity for a Head of Internal Communications and Engagement to join the Internal Communications and Engagement (IC&E) team, which sits at the centre of the BBC. It connects our workforce to our vision and strategy, brings our culture to life, and celebrates the BBC’s public purpose and mission.
Reporting to the Director of IC&E and part of the IC&E leadership team, this role is responsible for developing and delivering our internal communications and engagement strategy for the BBC’s Content Division. This is a permanent role, based in London with some flexibility, i.e. hybrid working.
BBC Content is responsible for the BBC’s output across network radio and television*, as well as BBC iPlayer and BBC Sounds. Under the leadership of Chief Content Officer, Charlotte Moore, teams across Television, Radio, BBC Sport and Children’s & Education commission and produce the highest standard of content for audiences to enjoy. The division also includes four BBC orchestras and choirs, and the BBC Food and Bitesize brands.
* Radio 1, 1Xtra, Radio 2, Radio 3, Radio 4 and 4 Extra, 5 Live and 5 Live Sports Extra, 6 Music + BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Three, BBC Four, CBBC, CBeebies
As Head of IC&E for BBC Content you will play a key role in supporting senior stakeholders and team leaders across BBC Content to communicate change effectively, promote creative excellence, support collaboration across the BBC and encourage career mobility and development across the division.
You will be expected to develop a new and inspiring narrative and channel strategy for BBC Content with a focus on recognition and authentic, two-way communications that cut-through and raise the visibility of the Chief Content Officer and Senior Leadership Group, whilst closely aligning to the Group wide communications strategy and approach.
Through innovative comms techniques you’ll help us tell our creative story to colleagues in BBC Content and across the BBC.
You will also:
- Lead, coach and develop a team of internal communications specialists
- Support the leadership team in Content to build engagement and retention through inspirational communications drawing on a knowledge of our Content portfolio alongside supporting internal engagement activities, eg coordination of the BBC Survey for the Content division
- Support the Director of IC&E to develop, deliver and measure our IC&E strategy
- Be a trusted advisor to the Chief Content Officer and leadership team.
- Demonstrate a strong ability to challenge and influence at all levels of the business in a positive and respectful way
- Be a collaborative and supportive member of the Internal Communications & Engagement leadership team, happy to muck in outside of your immediate role remit to drive the wider team’s success.
- Actively build great relationships with key stakeholders across Content and the wider organisation to develop a strong understanding of our priorities, challenges and audiences
- Work with external comms and marketing to align activity and amplify key content moments across the BBC.
- Support the Director of IC&E to put together plans and execution for crisis comms.
- Act as an ambassador for the BBC’s Values and behaviors
- Manage budgets as required.
Are you the right candidate?
To be successful in this role you must have experience with:
- Significant experience in leading internal communications in a highly complex and fast-paced organisation
- Brilliant people leadership: leading, coaching, inspiring teams
- Working in an organisation that’s often in the media spotlight.
- Working under pressure and the ability to manage multiple high-profile projects at any one time
- Executive board level stakeholder management
- Crisis comms and reputation management
- Advising on change communications
- Development and delivery of engagement campaigns
- Organizing and curating engaging events / away-days for creative teams
You must be able to:
- Write (and speak) clearly, assuredly and concisely, no matter the audience.
- Interpret, synthesize and summarize written information.
- Have strong commercial and strategic intellect.
- Manage a range of channels, including leadership events and cascades, all staff sessions, intranet, bulletins, regular comms and digital media.
- Create positive relationships with the team and with stakeholders
- Solve problems quickly and simply
- Multitask effectively and manage significant projects simultaneously.
- Work effectively without supervision
- Be a good ambassador for BBC values and behaviors.
- Apply creativity and external best practice to your work.
Location:London based role with some flexibility – i.e., hybrid working