Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly incubated hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped these partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
Internews is seeking a full-time Program Associate for the Office of the Vice President for Global Technology Program. This is a unique, multi-faceted, entry-level role that will offer you the opportunity to drive high-level organizational initiatives and outreach strategies within a global NGO, develop expertise in the direct implementation of publicly and privately-funded foreign assistance programs supporting human rights defenders and independent media, and build your understanding of how human rights and technology intersect.
You’re an ideal candidate for this position if you have excellent written and oral communication skills; great attention to detail and organizational capacity; a love for keeping things moving and on track; a voracious desire to learn; and the desire to help protect human rights defenders, journalists, and marginalized people around the world.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Assisting the Vice President and the leadership of the Global Technology Department with the implementation of strategic initiatives. This will require:
- Conducting various research projects;
- Drafting correspondence, both internal and external;
- Gathering qualitative and quantitative information and analyzing it;
- Drafting/preparing reports, memos, presentations, white papers, and other materials; and
- Attending relevant events (panels, presentations, etc.) upon request, and sharing notes with the team.
- Supporting the launch of new/pilot projects and helping run targeted, special projects. This will require:
- Contributing to the writing and compiling of program reporting, including quarterly reports and other project-related reports;
- Helping track project metrics that serve to measure the success of the Global Technology Program;
- Supporting proposal development for new projects, including research, copy-editing, and supporting the development of draft budgets;
- Drafting communication between Internews and partners; and
- Drafting project-specific content for internal and external communications, including blog posts and programmatic highlights.
- Assisting with basic executive support tasks such as managing the VP’s calendar and filing expense reports.
- Helping lead the Department’s coordination with other departments across Internews, as well as coordinating initiatives and activities within the Department. This will require:
- Coordinating with colleagues in field offices to share information;
- Organizing meetings, webinars, and other events across time zones with international partners and fellow colleagues; and
- Close coordination with Department staff to measure and report progress against team-wide goals and strategic initiatives.
- Maintaining flexibility in order to completing other duties as assigned.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Prior experience in international development or non-profit sector (including field experience) OR relevant skills OR a relevant degree
- Excellent English-language written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Willingness to learn and adopt secure communication tools
- Proven ability to
- balance and effectively prioritize multiple assignments and deadlines
- show sensitivity and understanding for diverse perspectives in a multicultural environment
- proactively communicate any challenges you’re facing to your supervisor and ask for help
- build presentations using software such as PowerPoint or Keynote, or to learn this skill quickly
- work effectively and constructively across large teams, and help align expectations and goals
- Optimism, a sense of humor, and excitement at joining a supportive, skilled, multi-cultural team that is distributed across the globe
- **Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn are still encouraged to apply**
- 1-3 years of office administration, research, or program implementation experience
- Non-profit experience
- Experience using or learning project management and information management tools, such as Trello, MS Project, Airtable, etc.
- Language skills in one of the primary Internews languages (Spanish, French, Arabic, Russian)
- University degree preferred but not required
This position reports to the Vice President, Global Technology Programs, who is based in Tunisia. It is designed to be remote-first, although candidates seeking an office-based position should feel free to express that desire. This is a full time, Monday-Friday position. Although there is some flexibility regarding work schedule, applicants should assume the need to be online and available within the range of 10 am-4 pm UTC.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our Internews Benefits page.
To apply, please visit the Internews website: https://chm.tbe.taleo.net/chm04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1204